Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Periods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Periods
pink35
Activist
Member # 107329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I was recently reading your On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation article and I had a question pertaining to that article.
The Secretory Phase
This follows right after ovulation, and is when the progesterone increases (and part of what that does is signal the body not to release any more eggs!). It continues to increase and then hold still unless an egg was fertilized in this cycle; if it wasn't, progesterone will increase until you begin a menstrual period and then it'll drop as you begin your next cycle.
This is said in the article and I was just confused as to if my discharge was thick and chalky like it says in the article and then I am in a "dry phase" where I am having little to no discharge is this normal a week before my period is supposed to start? thank you for your time and help! I really like how this website is aimed to help people and give people the correct information.

[ 04-25-2013, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: pink35 ]

Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there pink35,

Vaginal discharge can be a very finicky thing. It's hard to be able to determine where exactly you are in your cycle solely based on checking your discharge over the past couple of days- you would need to chart it over several months, or even years, to really get familiar with your cycle and what parts of it correlate with what types of discharge. Our bodies tend to all work a little differently.

With that said, in all likelihood it would be normal to be experiencing that type of discharge prior to your period. You are most familiar with your body and its workings, so if something were to change drastically and randomly, such that you would notice, that may be something to look into.

I'll also leave this article here for you to read, incase you're interested in reading a little about vaginal discharge: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

Hope this helps!

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink35
Activist
Member # 107329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay, so would this dry phase be considered part of a normal cycle or average cycle for most women or is this part of something else? sorry I am just a little bit confused as to what you mean. thank you for your help!
Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is part of a normal cycle.

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink35
Activist
Member # 107329

okay thank you! this wouldn't be happening if I had a possibility of pregnancy then correct?
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Not necessarily, because changes in discharge don't occur in a pregnancy until a while into it.

--------------------
AAR

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To add to what Allie has said: it's impossible to tell just from discharge whether you're pregnant. We've gone through the information on pregnancy risks with you many, many times, and we have made it clear that we will not continue to do so. This is a hard limit and we need you to respect it.

If you are still concerned about pregnancy, then you need to take a pregnancy test - if not enough time has passed for one to be accurate, then you need to seek emotional support from someone else until you can test. (For instance, the cousin you mentioned in another thread that you feel comfortable talking to.)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink35
Activist
Member # 107329

I did not mean for that to go to the pregnancy risk, I was just asking to see if this was normal for many women. thank you for the help
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.