Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Making Sure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Making Sure
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone!

So, I know this will probably be a bit of an overkill, since I've been on this forum for a while and have read articles and should know this, but please bear with me.

I just went to the washroom and saw that I had yellow-ish discharge (normal for me), but I saw a red-brown flake in my underwear. I do know discharge dries up and crusts over and can therefore look a bit different in colour, but I'm worried that this is dried blood. My withdrawal bleed ended nine days ago; but it did kind of stop early. What I think is the culprit here - if I am spotting a bit - is stress. My family is moving and I'm packing, moving and lifting heavy stuff (which I did while on my period, which I know was not smart); and I've been really stressed out over this. My partner doesn't know that I'm moving yet, and even though it's just a house a few minutes away, I'm just so anxious about telling him; and I've been having friend issues; so I guess all this could be taking a toll on my body. And I know spotting is a side effect of the pill. I'm just so tired and really exhausted emotionally... So I hope this isn't an extra thing to worry about!

In any case, I'll keep an eye on it and I haven't had any sex since January, if that is needed to be known (just oral and manual).

Thank you for reading! I'm just so exasperatd with everything. It was nice to get all of this off my chest!

[ 04-20-2013, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: copper86 ]

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Copper,

Given that spotting can occur for all sorts of reasons, there doesn't sound like anything to be overly concerned about here. As you know, if it continues and worries you, you certainly can consult with your healthcare provider.

I'm not quite sure why you said that packing and heavy lifting on your withdrawal bleed wasn't smart. So long as you feel like you have the physical energy to do so, there's nothing wrong with these activities at any point during your cycle. I'm curious, so could you fill me in on why you think it was a bad idea to do these things during your withdrawal bleed?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robin! How are you? I hope you're doing well!

I thought that if one did heavy lifting while on their period, they could hemorrage? Based on female anatomy, can one do heavy lifting more safely with there being a less chance of causing any injury? I feel nervous about my genitals when I strain to lift things.

--------------------

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT?

No, by no means is that something you have to worry about. It's something to be concerned with post-abortion or delivery, but not with your period.

And lifting things your arms and back can handle just fine poses no kind of risk to your genitals.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you for clearing that up!!

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about my loud what: I was just pretty mortified by whatever/whoever gave you that impression. talk about an idea that would massively limit women's lives and misrepresent our bodies!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

No worries. I trust the person who told me this - I just think they were misinformed about that. But it's nice that I don't have to worry about that when I'm lifting boxes, moving furniture, and heavy items...

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Really, if lifting anything hurts your back, it's your back you need to worry about and lay off. And if, while menstruating, you just feel super low-energy, then by all means, just for your own self-care, it's probably not the day to decide to train to do heavy-lifting for the Olympics. [Smile]

But your uterus? If your whole body feels fine and your back feels fine, your uterus could likely care less. And you certainly don't have to worry about hurting your body in the way that you were. If you did, I think it's safe to say that people-who-menstruate would have literally died off as a species by now, since through much of history, in most places, women have done manual labor most days of their lives during their reproductive years.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.