Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Chlamydia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chlamydia
wanderlusting
Neophyte
Member # 96408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderlusting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys. I'm a little bit concerned. I went for my first pelvic exam about a week and a half ago and had my first chlamydia/gonorrhea test. I just got the results back, and it turns out I tested positive for chlamydia. The only thing it, my partner and I have been in a monogamous relationship for 2.5 years, and we are each other's first sexual partners, something I know for a fact. My partner was tested last summer, and the results all came back negative. I'm wondering how this is possible, and, honestly, I'm freaking out a bit. I'm now worried about PID and ectopic pregnancy (though I just got my withdrawal bleed) because I don't know how long I've had this infection or the extent of the damage it may have caused already. I'd love to know more. Thank you.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi wanderlusting,

I'm sorry to hear about those test results, but chlamydia is at least generally pretty easy to treat. Did your doctors talk to you at all about treatment options?

We have an overview here: The STI Files: Chlamydia but your best bet is to follow up with your doctor to get started on a treatment program. You can definitely bring those other worries to your doctor as well; if they didn't give you a chance to ask those questions when they gave you the test results, you can definitely call and ask now.

Also, it's important for your partner to be treated as well, since you've tested positive; he should make an appointment to see a doctor as soon as possible.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wanderlusting
Neophyte
Member # 96408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderlusting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. I went and picked up antibiotics today. I do have one question that I failed to ask my doctor- I'm taking antibiotics for vaginal chlamydia- will this also be effective for oral chlamydia at the same time if I do have it? Thank you!
Posts: 33 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not, simply because of different location on the body, different mix of bacteria and normal flora found in that area, hence a different type of drug and drug mechanism will be needed. If you have time, it would be a good idea to call your doctor up and ask that to be sure. Because prescribed antibiotics are so specific, taking them for the wrong reason can lead to ineffective treatment.

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did your doctor also do an oral swab to check for that and any other infections that might have been transmitted orally?

If not, you want to ask them to do that. The antibiotics you're taking for Chlamydia should take care of the infection wherever you contracted it, but if you've been having unprotected oral sex with this partner, now that something is and has been clearly amiss per him not being clear of infections like you thought, I'd get screened for all possible STIs orally, too. particularly since the antibiotics may not take care of any *other* possible infections.

You likely also already know this, but now that an STI clearly is and has been in the mix, to best protect your health, and keep you from contracting an infection again and again -- especially if your boyfriend still hasn't had his own recent new screenings -- you'll want to be sure to use safer sex barriers for any oral, vaginal or anal sex, okay?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wanderlusting
Neophyte
Member # 96408

No, the doctor didn't do an oral swab. The problem is, I'm going out of the country on Friday and can't get care prior to that. I'll be abroad for 3.5 weeks, but I plan to make an appointment for the week after I return.

As far as safer sex barriers, if my partner (who is getting tested and treated this week) tests negative post-treatment, and I do as well, is it safe to again go without barrier methods?

Also, finally, can you give me information about PID? I read the Scarleteen page, but I still have questions. I spoke with my doctor on the phone today, and she said it was nothing to worry about as I haven't been feeling ill or having any of the symptoms or any pain, and my last pelvic exam a couple of weeks ago showed a normal cervix, but is this true? Should I be tested for that as well when I get re-tested? Thank you for your time and help- I really appreciate it!

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is sticky and loaded, but not knowing how your partner picked up the Chlamydia it sounds like he transmitted to you in the first place, I'd not advise going without barriers until it's been at least another six months of exclusivity and then one more screening for him and you with negative results.

I'd also personally advise not going without those barriers, period, until you know how he contracted Chlamydia, especially if he told you he had negative screenings for it nine months ago or so.

I agree with your doctor: PID is generally a painful condition, one where people with it are going to have the things she was looking for.

And really, all you can do anyway is to keep up with getting regular sexual healthcare -- once a year with STI screens is what's advised for pretty much anyone sexually active, more often if people are non-monogamous or switch partners more often. There's so explicit test for PID, because it's more a group of symptoms: it's not a virus or bacteria, but a condition. All a sexual healthcare provider can do is keep an eye out for the usual symptoms of PID, and, when they appear to be present, then do things like take a look at your uterus with an ultrasound to further check everything out.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wanderlusting
Neophyte
Member # 96408

Is the six month recommendation, which I totally agree with, based on wanting an assurance of exclusivity since where the Chlamydia came from is unknown? Or is it more just a suggestion in general given when Chlamydia is spread- as in, should I not be having sex for six months just with this partner, or with anyone in general?

Also, is it possible to contract Chlamydia from animals?

Heather
Member # 3

I have no education when it comes to infections that can be transmitted from sex with animals, and that's also outside the reach and guidelines of what we talk about here, in part because it isn't lawful.

But I did a quick search and found this: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100222094805.htm And a few other articles like it, so it appears it is possible.

The six month suggestion is because, between tests, that covers the incubation periods for most infections. So, with another set of tests six months from now, you both should know what infections you each do or don't still have or have again. And too, when you've just had an infection, I'd say six months of protected sex with any partners is just a sound public health move.

A time period alone, as you obviously, know, obviously can't assure exclusivity.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

wanderlusting
Neophyte
Member # 96408

Thank you. Also, as far as tests, this was just a standard chlamydia/gonorrhea test- is there anything else I should be tested for when I go in?
Heather
Member # 3

That's a conversation to have with your doctor or clinician, but I generally recommend people get full STI panels per testing, not just CT/GC tests.

And by all means, if exclusivity and first-and-only-partnerhood you assumed or believed was incorrect, whatever the situation, then I'd strongly suggest you ask for a full panel when you get tested.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.