Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Can all these delay my period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can all these delay my period?
aarthi
Neophyte
Member # 48761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aarthi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Scarleteen- I normally have a 28 day menstrual cycle and my last period was on the 22nd of March. My period is supposed to have come today but don't know why it isn't here and I am actually wondering what could be the reason....

I am more or less sure I am not pregnant because
1. I had sex on day 9 of my cycle which I know is not quite exactly the days one must have intercourse to become pregnant. That was the ONLY day we had intercourse between 22nd March and now...

2. I took a clear blue pregnancy test today ( April 20th) which is the 30th day since my period and I got a negative result.

But certain things have changed since last month. I fell sick the beginning of April and took qite a heavy dose of antibiotics ( 500 mg a day for three days and also some drops with alcohol)...I have also started a new internship since the beginning of this month and obviously I am also a bit stressed as to wheter I would do good or not....and besides we have had a change in weather and I have also stopped exercising and visiting the gym which I used to do till now....

Can all these have an effect on my period...

Thank you!

Posts: 30 | From: Germany | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plenty of things can delay a period, including some of the factors you mentioned; certainly stress, sickness, and changes in exercise can impact your cycle. In addition, a lot of people have cycles that average out to a certain length (like 28 days) but can be a day or two earlier or later than that. I wouldn't call one extra day too unusual, even if your cycle is generally pretty regular.

You may find this article helpful: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aarthi
Neophyte
Member # 48761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aarthi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And should I take another pregnancy test again? or can I safely assume that this is fairly accurate because on the packet, it said if I start testing from the day my period is due it is 99 percent accurate...I tested when I was already 2 days late....so can I take this test to be fairly accurate?
Posts: 30 | From: Germany | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you took the test according to the information on the package, then you can trust that 99% effectiveness. From what you have said, it sounds like you waited long enough for the initial test to be accurate. If your period takes a few more days to arrive and you're nervous about it, you certainly could test again.

Are you using any sort of protection when you have intercourse with your partner? Unless you're also actively charting your fertility, knowing only how long it's been since your last period isn't enough to know whether or not a particular instance of intercourse can result in pregnancy.
So going forward, if you do not want to become pregnant, using some sort of birth control would definitely be a good idea. If you need any information about the options you have, we can help you out with that. =)

And if you do want to start charting your fertility, we have some articles about that: Get With the Flow: All About FAM
Fertility Awareness (FAM)

Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aarthi
Neophyte
Member # 48761

I think I did take the test right...I took a clear blue pregnancy test which is digital....I followed the instructions, got a blinked sign which said wait and after 3 mins got a "not pregnant" result....And I guess there aren't many avenues to go wrong in this clear blue test....looked quite simple to me....

And regarding pregnancy, I am honestly not able to decide whether I want a kid now or not...I am doing an internship now and sometimes feel having a baby might hamper my chances of getting a stable job...on the other hand, I feel my body clock is ticking and so is my partner's ( he's 37....)....And are there any decrease in the quality of sperms with age etc?

We currently use no protection but everytime or rather every month we end up having sex only once [Smile] which I know isn't the ideal no. of times if u need to concieve...this month it was only on the 9th day of my cycle...

thank you for the links.....and may be i shall take a test again on tuesday...if it comes back negative, can i be assured i am def not pregnant? and I had take azithromycin antibiotics may be the time i was ovulating...I was taking 500 mg a day....I read on the internet...it can delay ur menstrual cycles....

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.