Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Mirena Threads

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mirena Threads
samanthamt
Activist
Member # 41234

Icon 4 posted      Profile for samanthamt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a Mirena on April 11th (my bday, yay!) and I've been really paranoid about it falling out so I've been checking the threads every day. My gynecologist said that she tucked them behind my cervix so that they wouldn't bother my fiance during sex. Everytime I've checked them I've only been able to feel what feels like one which I attributed to swelling or something. Today I feel two, but one feels tucked and the other feels (felt) like it was hanging down like they show in the brochures. I checked them again, because I started to panic, and it felt like the one that had previously felt like it was hanging down was beginning to tuck back behind my cervix. I'm just really don't know what to think. My doctor didn't even tell me to check the strings, I got that from the actual Mirena website. Do I call and make an appointment to get it rechecked already? I have an appointment scheduled for May 17th. I just don't want to go in and have her check it and everything be fine. I already feel like an idiot for being worried now but I can't help it. I'm thinking maybe my cervix just moved a little bit or something and that made the string come untucked or feel different?

--------------------
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.
-Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 104 | From: U.S | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
::Aries fistbump::

I hear you describing feeling at least one string every time you have checked them: that means we can know your IUD is still inside your uterus.

The strings aren't something you really need to check every day, more like every now and then, or whenever you'd like.

But for sure, they're going to shift and move sometimes. However, again, the IUD is inside your uterus, clearly, if you're feeling either of the strings, so you can know the IUD is exactly where it's supposed to be. Where the strings are has no bearing at all on the device doing what it's designed to do.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68212 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samanthamt
Activist
Member # 41234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samanthamt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay good, I guess I just panicked that it had become partially expelled or something because I thought I felt something smooth, but now I'm pretty sure I actually felt my cervix. Not the Mirena. Its still just really new to me haha.

--------------------
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.
-Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 104 | From: U.S | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There really is no "partially expelled." It's in or its not, for the most part.

As well, I really hope your provider let you see and touch your IUD before it was inserted. Including so you could know that it won't be something that feels anything like your cervix, more something that feels like a slightly thicker coffee-stirrer, like you'll find with the condiments at coffee places.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68212 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samanthamt
Activist
Member # 41234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samanthamt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She didn't. But just your description makes me feel a lot better. Thank you so much! I do wish she had let me feel it. Maybe I'll ask if they have one that they show to patients to at my follow up, it would be nice to know exactly what it would feel like. Thank you so much for the peace of mind. I was really starting to panic. Do you by any chance know if antibiotics affect the effectiveness of it? I've been on antibiotics since before I got it, and got put on a longer course today, and my PCP didn't know if they would have any effect on it or not. All I know about the effectiveness is that it's over 99 percent and that it (according to my gynecologist) isn't effective until I've had it two weeks. Sorry for all the questions, but you seem to know more about it than my doctor haha.

--------------------
-Abraham Lincoln

Heather
Member # 3

Pfft! I'm sorry to hear that: I really feel like that kind of patient education is so important. [Frown]

But for sure, ask to see one at your follow-up. Any clinic or practice that does IUD insertions will have at least one to show patients considering the IUD.

And no: medications do not interact with the IUD. It's a device, not another medication. It works because there is a thing inside your uterus, and other medications can't remove it. (Would that IUD removals were that simple!)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Just FYI, though, I don't know what you're on the antibiotics FOR, but if you've been ill, that makes you more suceptible to any kind of infection, including STIs and other genital infections. And an IUD insertion always does that too, within the first three weeks after insertion.

So, if you' going to be having any kind of sex, safer sex is REALLY important in those first three weeks, especially if you're already sick with something or have been, so your immune system is already doing overtime.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

samanthamt
Activist
Member # 41234

Okay, I didn't think that meds could interfere with it since, like you said, its in my uterus. The antibiotics are just for a super stubborn sinus/ear infection that keeps coming back. But I'll just use condoms until I've had it for 3 weeks. The last thing I want is an infection (yeast, bacterial etc.) that might interfere with the Mirena in some way, since getting it was so painful. Better safe than sorry [Smile]

--------------------
-Abraham Lincoln

Heather
Member # 3

Well, a genital infection wouldn't change your IUDs effectiveness, it just could make you sick, and the PID risks from genital infections when you have an IUD are much higher than without, particularly in those first three weeks. So, this is about protecting your health rather than preventing pregnancy.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

samanthamt
Activist
Member # 41234

Right, I understand what you're saying. I guess I'm more focused on preventing anything from happening that could potentially make me need to have it removed or make it come out on its own. I have no idea what could happen that would actually warrant that, but anyways, I understand. Yeah, I definitely don't want to get sicker than I am with the sinus/ear stuff. Is there anything that I could do to accidentally cause it to come out? I'm guessing no. Surely my doctor would have at least told me that. I am just really worried that it will come out. I keep reading that the chance of expulsion is higher for women who haven't had children so it makes me nervous.

--------------------
-Abraham Lincoln

Heather
Member # 3

No. save yanking on the strings so hard you'd be screaming in agony, you can't cause expulsion.

Really, it sounds like you were left with a LOT of questions. It's your providers job to answer those for you, so I'd file all these away for your follow-up, write them down, then bring them with you and ask them all when you are there, okay?

Honestly, it's just a standard part of basic, good patient care. Your doctor owes you that: it's part of what you pay for. ideally, the doctor would have talked with you, also, about all these concerns BEFORE doing an insertion. I really hope they did, because you should not be choosing a method you don't feel good about. Obviously, some of the onus is on you here, too, but they need to check in about that as well.

(Just so you know, the higher expulsion rate is real, but it's a)not a consistent finding, in other words, some studies have found NO difference in expulsion rates between parous and nulliparous patients and b) studies that have sound a difference have found a *slight* difference, nothing earth-shattering. But again, these really are conversions to have with your healthcare provider, especially since you clearly have access to that healthcare, okay?)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

samanthamt
Activist
Member # 41234

Right, sorry. Thanks again.

--------------------
-Abraham Lincoln

Heather
Member # 3

It's okay, I just want you to get what you should be getting from your healthcare provider, too!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

samanthamt
Activist
Member # 41234

She's a good doctor. They gave me two chances before the insertion to ask questions but I was just too nervous, I actually had them written down and everything. So, it's really my fault. Doctors and nurses aren't mind readers! Anyways, thanks again, I'm sorry for taking up your time.

--------------------
-Abraham Lincoln

Heather
Member # 3

It's great that you're taking responsibility for that. By all means, sometimes healthcare providers aren't good that way. But, like you experienced, sometimes they are, but the patient doesn't respond, and then it's really not on them.

But, you're not without another opportunity at your follow-up. You might even go in and make clear right from the start that your nerves have gotten in the way of asking the questions you've had, to kind of clear the air so you can ask what you need to. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.