Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » am i freaking myself out?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: am i freaking myself out?
Paranoid0987
Neophyte
Member # 107431

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Paranoid0987     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Saturday night, April 27 I had sex around 2a, twice...we used a condom both times, I saw him take it off and it didn't appear to be broken at all. Then we fell asleep naked and I woke up and we were cuddling/spooning and his penis was kind of under my butt if that make sense, just resting there...not wet or anything but I didn't like it so I moved it. Then earlier in the morning I gave him oral sex and he came on himself and some got on my hand. I wiped both him and my hand off with a towel. Maybe 5-10 minutes later I remembered that I was suppose to get my period on Sunday so I kind of reached to touch that area to make sure I hadn't bled, and then quickly pulled my hand away because I realized I didn't wash my hands after wiping his semen off. There was also a fan on in the room so it was cold in there, which I know extreme temps make it harder for sperm to live...I did a little reading on your site and talked to friends and a high risk of pregnancy didn't seem possible...
But I'm not on birth control so I got paranoid and went back and fourth about taking plan b. Tuesday night at around 8pm I took Next Choice one dose, the generic version of plan b. It was under the 72 hour mark....I think I was at 66 hours, roughly. I had taken it once before when it was the two dose, and I got my period the next morning. This time, that isn't that case. Today is Saturday, tonight will mark 1 week after I had sex and my period is 6 days late.
I am also graduation college next week and looking for jobs plus stressing about the chance of being pregnant...and I am usually irregular...my cycle averages 30 days but 2 months ago it went 42 days.

Do you think I took Next Choice too late? Or am I just stressing myself out?

Also, I have been having symptoms of my period coming...cramps, tender breasts, PMS and I feel like I'm getting it but when I check, nothing...but this could also be from Next Choice.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi and welcome to Scarleteen,

You cannot get pregnant from touching yourself in the way you described.

Also be aware that emergency contraception can throw off the menstrual cycle, which includes periods being later or earlier than usual, or missed altogether.

If the last time you took emergency contraception was recent, that might account for why your period has been irregular.

You can take a look at this to help you sort out what is and isn't a pregnancy risk:

Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?

Does this help?

[ 05-04-2013, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paranoid0987
Neophyte
Member # 107431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paranoid0987     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes this helped a lot, thank you!

The last time I took EC was July of 2012 so about 10 months ago. Would that be considered recent.

Also, I'm not concerned I'm pregnant from the touching because I know the sperm had a long way to go and there was no semen pushing it up into my vagina, plus it was dry if there was even any on my hand.

I'm more concerned with his penis being so close to me while I was sleeping...like I said before...it didn't feel wet, but it was still there.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paranoid0987,

No, I don't think that 10 months is considered recent. Even if you haven't taken emergency contraception recently it can still throw off the menstrual cycle, which includes periods being later or earlier than usual, or missed altogether.

From what you describing (condom use, condoms not broken, cuddling, touching) it doesn't sound like there was a pregnancy risk. Take a look at this page, Pregnancy Risk Assessment. It's really helpful in determining if there was a risk of pregnancy.

What do you think?

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paranoid0987
Neophyte
Member # 107431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paranoid0987     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm fine, but I will probably still be paranoid until I finally get my period. Do you suggest I take a pregnancy test at some point just to be sure?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless there was actual intentional genital contact, it really is unlikely that there would be a pregnancy risk from what you described.

If it would make you feel better to take a pregnancy test, then by all means you can do so.

Know though that a pregnancy test wouldn't be expected to be accurate until at least 14 days after the sexual activity that took place.

And again, taking emergency contraception can alter the menstrual cycle so there's really no predicting when you'll get your period.

Would you like to discuss birth control options that you can use in addition to condoms so you're less likely to have a scare like this again?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.