Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » pregnancy testing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnancy testing
rldove13
Activist
Member # 49305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rldove13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tuesday morning I took a pregnancy test and it came back negative. Not a big shocker but with being put on the mini pill I feel like me cycle went crazy because of all the spotting I do during the month. My period should have started Tuesday. When would be a good time to take another pregnancy test?

--------------------
Thanks so much!
Becca

Posts: 136 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have been taking the pill as directed, with no late or missing pills, there is no reason to suspect a pregnancy risk.

How long have you been on the pill? Have you been spotting all this time?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rldove13
Activist
Member # 49305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rldove13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This month I have been awful with taking my pill. This is my second month in the mini pill. I have never spotted before this pill but every few weeks I have a few days of light spotting.

--------------------
Thanks so much!
Becca

Posts: 136 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, spotting is a common side-effect of starting the pill. Also, taking the pill incorrectly or erratically may also cause spotting. So, once your body adjust to the hormones (and you start taking the pill as directed!), the spotting should stop.

But since you are not taking the pill as directed, you cannot count on it for protection. Are you engaging in sexual activity that could pose a pregnancy risk? If so, when was your last risk? The soonest a pregnancy test will give you accurate results is at 14 days after a risk.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Also, if you are engaging in sexual activity that can pose pregnancy risks, you will want to start using condoms until you have been taking the pill correctly for at least a month.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

rldove13
Activist
Member # 49305

My partner and I always use condoms when engaging in vaginal sex, and even the first month when I was taking the pill as directed I had spotting

--------------------
Thanks so much!
Becca

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

As stated, spotting is a common side-effect of starting on hormonal birth control. So, again, you'll have to wait and see if the spotting stops once you have been taking the pill correctly for at least a couple of months. If you then still experience spotting, you can talk to your prescribing doctor about switching to a different brand.

And if you have been using condoms consistently for all genital contact, and have not had a condom failure, you do not need to be concerned about a pregnancy risk.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Becca,

If you've been using condoms perfectly every time you engage in sexual activity that can pose a pregnancy risk, there isn't a substantial risk of that.

So, on top of spotting being a common initial-symptom of the pill, the mini pill is notorious for causing irregular menstrual patterns, and that's more likely to happen when it's not taken as directed.

Though, if you're still concerned, a home pregnancy test should be accurate if you take it 2 weeks after the event, preferably in the morning when the indicating hormone (HCG) will be the most concentrated.

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rldove13
Activist
Member # 49305

ok thank you [Smile]

--------------------
Thanks so much!
Becca

rldove13
Activist
Member # 49305

so if I take a test two weeks after the risk and have no new risks then there is no way to become pregnant

--------------------
Thanks so much!
Becca

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.