Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Headaches and nausea one week before period always!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Headaches and nausea one week before period always!
Saralida89
Neophyte
Member # 107249

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Saralida89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have looked online and found a couple posts about the same type of issue I am dealing with but nothing that directly relates so here I am and this is what's up:

Every month about 5-8 days before my period I get completely drained. Tired, migraines and this sickly nausea that sits almost behind my eyes. I can't work, walk around,eat, barely can sleep. And it's only recently that I have realized it happens before my period, I have experienced this for years and just barely put two and two together. Idk If this is the right place to ask about this but has anyone heard of it and what can I do to make it stop? I feel like throwing up! It lasts for about 2-4 days normally. I don't buy that it is just "Pms" because none of the medicines for that work on me,nothing I have tried does. Anyone have any advice?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you talked to a doctor about this? That would be the best place to start. It's very likely that it is indeed PMS, but the medications that are available over the counter to treat PMS are generally just painkillers, so that's why they're not working for you. However, there are plenty of other options, including changes to your diet and other medications, that can potentially help a lot, so talk to a healthcare provider and see what they say.

What have you tried to manage these symptoms up until now?

[ 04-04-2013, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saralida89
Neophyte
Member # 107249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saralida89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no insurance until August so I can't see any doctor about it yet, was just curious if anyone here had heard of it ever.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Headaches/migraines and nausea are pretty common PMS symptoms, so what you're describing isn't really anything out of the ordinary. That doesn't mean that it's not really irritating and sucky to deal with, but it does honestly sound like run-of-the-mill PMS.

If you haven't already, you might try making some changes to your lifestyle like getting more exercise, avoiding caffeine and drinking more water for at least the few days before you're expecting these symptoms, and eating plenty of fresh veg and whole grains. Some people find that cutting down on sugar and dairy can help too.

[ 04-04-2013, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saralida89
Neophyte
Member # 107249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saralida89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. I will give it all a try!
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

You're very welcome. [Smile]

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.