Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Orgasm Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Orgasm Question
suigeneris
Neophyte
Member # 106528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suigeneris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I have a question about orgasms...I'm a 19 year old lesbian, and I'm totally capable of coming through masturbation (usually by rubbing my clitoris on a pillow or whatever), but I've never managed to come with a partner...the thing is, I've read about the g-spot and stuff, but I've never gotten pleasure from being penetrated. I've had several different sexual partners who've fingered me without getting me off, and in fact, I've never even been able to entirely insert a tampon correctly, which I *think* is part of the whole "not liking penetration" thing.
I used to show symptoms of PCOS so doctors definitely examined my reproductive system and never, as far as I know, discovered anything anatomically wrong with me...

So could it be that I just can't orgasm through penetration, and should just focus on other means? Is it even A Thing/possible to be totally incapable of coming in that way? Or am I just doing it "wrong" somehow?

Thanks a ton in advance! This website is truly fantastic; I'm so glad it exists. (:

Posts: 2 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi suigeneris, and welcome to the message boards!

Here are few articles about orgasm and sexual response that might be helpful to read. I know that there's a lot of heterosexual language in there, but the key issue is one of penetration, not the gender of the involved partners, so I think they'll still be worth a read. =)
The Great No-Orgasm-from-Intercourse Conundrum
Sexual Response & Orgasm: A Users Guide
With Pleasure: A View of Whole Sexual Anatomy for Every Body

Note the statistic from that first article, that at least 70% of women do not reach orgasm from penetration, whether that's from a penis, toy, or fingers. You may eventually find that you enjoy penetration, and maybe you never will - and you might enjoy it quite a bit but never find that you have an orgasm during penetration. And that's ok! But no, it's certainly not uncommon for women to enjoy penetration less than other sexual activities, or to have orgasms during penetration rarely or not at all. And while some people just love g-spot stimulation, it's not for everyone.

If you find that fingering doesn't work for you, it's ok to ask partners not to do that. By all means, if you're interested in exploring that and happy to let them try, that's fine, but I want to remind you that if penetration of any sort just doesn't sound good to you right now, that's what matters - even if a partner really wants to do that to you, their wanting doesn't trump your desire not to do it.
Have you ever shown a partner how you like to masturbate? That can be a great way to show someone a way to touch you that you already know you enjoy. Another thing you could try is to ask partners to keep their nails trimmed and/or use latex gloves and a lot of lube during manual sex.

Also, I think that third article is a great place to spend some time; so much of orgasm and sexual pleasure comes from the circumstances of who we're with, how we're feeling, and other non-physical aspects of sex. It can be really easy to get caught up in a "I can't orgasm from X activity" space, but I think it can be helpful to step back from that mindset a bit. Also, while orgasms are great, it can be helpful to not let sex between partners come down entirely on whether or not people have them.

(And finally, please remember to only post a topic in one place on the boards! Thanks!)

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.