Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » ovulation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ovulation
White Peony
Neophyte
Member # 106461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Peony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I want to clarify when ovulation occurs in conjunction to cervical mucus discharge. I understand that during mid cycle and when you are about to ovulate, your body secret cervical fluid that is clear and slimy. When you are most fertile, this fluid becomes more stringy like egg white.

I had that for about 1.5 days and then had a clump of discharge that was slimy with an opaque center and clear on the outside. What is this? If it is cervical discharge, did I ovulate before this or after this?

Thanks

Posts: 3 | From: NY | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
White Peony,

Here are a few pages on our site to check out. I think you'll find all the information you need there. If you don't let me know [Smile]

A Guide to Vaginal Secretions
Smart to Chart

Because each of our bodies are different, in order to determine ovulation and fertility you really need to chart your cycle.

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Peony
Neophyte
Member # 106461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for White Peony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by White Peony:
Hi

I want to clarify when ovulation occurs in conjunction to cervical mucus discharge. I understand that during mid cycle and when you are about to ovulate, your body secret cervical fluid that is clear and slimy. When you are most fertile, this fluid becomes more stringy like egg white.

I had that for about 1.5 days and then had a clump of discharge that was slimy with an opaque center and clear on the outside. What is this? If it is cervical discharge, did I ovulate before this or after this?

Thanks

Posts: 3 | From: NY | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Peony
Neophyte
Member # 106461

So that blob of discharge signals highest rate of fertility which is round the peak of ovulation? And once ovulated, the ovum will degenerate within 24 hours?

Thanks

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That blob of discharge doesn't really mean anything. It likely is just discharge that, well, blobbed together. For most people, that stringy, egg-whitey discharge does signal the time of ovulation, but, as Haleigh said above, there's no way to know what all this means for your body unless you keep track of your cervical mucus every day over several months and, through doing so, come to know what parts of your cycle different discharges indicate.

Were you able to read the articles linked above? If so, any questions?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typically, a woman is most fertile during ovulation, which is exhibited by a clear, stretchy kind of discharge- and yes, if the ovum is not fertilized by a sperm cell, it will degenerate and be expelled during menstruation.

To iterate what Haleigh said, each individual's cycles are unique. With that said, your pattern of discharge may be unique, too, so it may be in your best interest to get familiar with yourself by way of charting your cycle.

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.