Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Nexplanon!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nexplanon!
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairbaire123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I got the Nexplanon instered today! Yippee [Smile] Thats for my going through the insertion without fainting (I was really dreading it, but it was actually not bad)

I took my second active pill of my new pack today and talked through everything with the mid wife. She said it doesnt matter whether or not I continue the pills and that my nexplanon will be effective after twenty four hours. I thought it wise to ask for a second opinion!

Do you think I should continue taking the pills and if I want to be on the safe side, how long before the nexplanon becomes effective? I started my period last week wednesday and am still lightly spotting today!

Posts: 119 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you're transitioning onto Nexplanon from another method of hormonal birth control, it should be effective within 24 hours. You don't need to continue taking your pills.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5758 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairbaire123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok thanks! She suggested my taking the pills still until i finish this cycle because it lessens the side effects of nexplanon, I think she mentioned the spotting? I would appreciate your opinion on this, if its worth taking two hormonal birth control methods at once.
Posts: 119 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your healthcare provider recommended that you do this, then clearly she considers it safe and beneficial to do. Certainly, if you wanted another opinion, you could get in touch with another healthcare provider, whether pharmacist, midwife, nurse, doctor, etc.

Ultimately, though, you're the one taking the pills, so you need to decide whether to finish the pack based on the information your healthcare providers have given you.

Remember, too, that when it comes to waiting until something is effective (and you were tol the implant would be effective within twenty-four hours) you always have the option of not engaging in sexual activities that could lead to pregnancy. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

I read a previous topic where a volunteer said that its not safe to use two hormonal birth control methods during one time.

Oh because I asked her if I needed to wait 7-14 days for the Nexplanon to be effective and she said no thats not true and where I read that. I read that here so I wanted to double check? But Karybu explained that since Im transferring over from another hormonal birth control, its effective after 24 hours so I think the 7-14 days are for people starting from non-use of a hormonal birth control?

Yup no sex until I know its effective [Smile] No sex for sure for 24 hours since insertion!

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in general, no, you're not going to want to use two hormonal birth control methods at the same time, but if your healthcare provider suggested it, and gave you reasons to do so that you found plausible, certainly you can do so. Do you feel like you trust your healthcare provider?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Yes I do. Im going to think about this!.

In the nexplanon article here on the site, it said it takes 2 weeks for it to be effective, is that for people not previously on any form of hormonal birth control?

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The amount of time it takes for the implant to be effective depends on when in a person's cycle it's inserted, as well as whether they were on some form of hormonal birth control when the insertion was done.

Because Nexplanon can cause irregular bleeding, some healthcare providers do recommend people take the combined pill for one or two months in order to help with that. Long-term use of two hormonal methods at once isn't a great idea (and isn't necessary), but in the short term, if your healthcare provider said it's ok, then you can trust that.

[ 03-20-2013, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5758 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Oh ok thanks [Smile]

I know for the pill scarleteen generally recommends to wait a full cycle while doctors say 7 days. What does scarleteen recommend for the nexplanon? 24 hours?

[ 03-20-2013, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: clairbaire123 ]

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Again, it depends on when it was inserted and whether the person was on a form of hormonal birth control previously. You were on the pill, so it's essentially the same thing as switching to a new brand of pills: there's no interruption in hormones, so it will be effective within 24 hours.

--------------------

clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Oh ok! thank you! If I decide to stop taking my pills, will the nexplanon still be effective after 24 hours?

I read your articles about your experience with the implant so I was wondering if it would be all right to ask you more about it?

[ 03-21-2013, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: clairbaire123 ]

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Yes, the implant will still be effective.

Feel free to ask me anything about the implant: obviously my experience will differ from yours, but I'm happy to share. [Smile]

--------------------

clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Ok thanks [Smile] after the insertion, did your skin bruise or was there a red line running along the rod? I'm gonna call my nurse tomorrow and ask if the red line on top of the rod is something to worry about! It's just slightly red and I'm hoping its just something normal because I just got it inserted.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

I had a massive bruise, because I bruise easily, but most people do end up with at least some bruising. The red line is something to ask your healthcare provider about though; it could just be irritation but it's always good to make sure.

--------------------

clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Yeah I'm gonna call her tomorrow! It's lightish purple so I don't know if it is a developing bruise or something more serious slightly freaking out about it ><
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

I spoke to my doctor, she said its normal and its just bruising, add on top to that, my sensitive skin!

Did you like the nexplanon? Was it a good form of bc for you? If you dont mind me asking!

[ 03-22-2013, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: clairbaire123 ]

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

It's worked very well for me, and I'm happy enough with it that I chose to continue using it when the first three years were up.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.