Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Confusing withdrawal bleed.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Confusing withdrawal bleed.
meowmeow26
Neophyte
Member # 105289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for meowmeow26     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys! So I am starting to let my anxiety get the better of me and would like some help.
I am on Azurette, which is a BCP that you take every day and have a 7 day placebo week for the last week.
I have never missed a period on this pill, it just usually comes on the 4th or 5th day. However, it is now late evening on the 5th day, and nothing. I am feeling some of the aches (very slightly) that I would normally have but no blood. The strange thing is I saw a pin-prick size spot of blood (or what I think was blood) when I wiped a night or two ago. But otherwise, no withdrawal bleed. My doctors suspect I have IBS and some of those pains mimic the start of a period, the gas pressures, lower back ache, etc. I am hoping it is not the IBS and that I am actually starting.
I am not sexually active, unless you can become pregnant from someone rubbing against you or without genital contact, which you've made clear here is not possible. So what is going on? Why haven't I started yet? And if I do start tonight, or the sixth or seventh day, is that cause for concern?
Sorry for the rant.

Posts: 10 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Scarleteen, meow!

Unfortunately, not even withdrawal bleeds work like a clockwork, and they can sometimes start a bit earlier or later than you are used to. It sounds like, at this point, it's barely been a day since your regular start time, so we would not even consider that bleed late yet. Give it another couple of days, okay? At this point, there is no cause for concern.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meowmeow26
Neophyte
Member # 105289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for meowmeow26     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. What would be considered late?
Posts: 10 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is usually some variation, and three or four days either way is pretty typical. If your bleed takes longer than that, even, it would be considered late, but even that would not be terribly unusual. As I said earlier, even withdrawal bleeds can be late and it's not necessarily a sign of anything being amiss. I'll link you to an article that may reassure you a bit, too:
M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meowmeow26
Neophyte
Member # 105289

Alright, so as long as it happens by the last placebo pill there's nothing to worry about?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Even if you were to wind up skipping the bleed, it would still be nothing to worry about. That can happen from time to time.

If you were to miss two or more bleeds in a row, it would be a good idea to get checked out. But as a one off, it's not usually a cause for concern.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

meowmeow26
Neophyte
Member # 105289

Thank you!
meowmeow26
Neophyte
Member # 105289

So my period started, kind of. It's only there when I wipe. And now it's the 6th day. Can I count this as a period? It feels like my period, like pain wise. I just want to put my mind to rest. The blood isn't bright red. It's like brownish. It's just not coming out in my underwear. I would say no big deal because I know bc is supposed to make your period lighter, but they've always been enough to soak through a pad.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you give this another day, especially since it's not unusual for menstrual flow to start light and get heavier? Chances are good that if you do just sit with this yourself for another day or two, it'll be pretty obvious to you what this is.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meowmeow26
Neophyte
Member # 105289

Okay. I am going to the doctor today because I took some new prescriptions this month that could have had a bad interaction. Are you saying this may not be my period? I guess what I'm saying is, can I use this small bleed to trust I am not pregnant? I know it's darn near impossible but I have a lot of anxiety.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, you need to do whatever it is you do to manage that anxiety, okay?

We can't tell people what is or isn't their period: that's just not an ability we have. Period psychics we';re not. [Smile]

What is and isn't your period -- or withdrawal bleed -- is really something only someone experiencing them, over time, can learn to determine.

But, as we often say, if it feels like a period, looks like a period, and comes around the time you expect a period? That is most likely what it is.

And if any flow you're having isn't leaving you convinced you are not pregnant, and you feel you may have been at risk of pregnancy, then a pregnancy test is the next right step.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meowmeow26
Neophyte
Member # 105289

Alright, so I went to the doctor and I'm feeling a lot better. We determined that another medication being taken inconsistently even once can mess up your cycle.
I am just a little concerned now. I am actually bleeding into a pad now, but it's not very much, and it's the sixth day. My cramps are also a lot worse than normal. But I'm thinking since I am getting dark red blood and it still was during the placebo week, even though it was late for me, I probably shouldn't worry about it? I know it's crazy and illogical I just always worry about "What about the time I wore a short skirt to work with just tights underneath and flirted with that guy and did something provocative, and then he may have purposely or accidentally rubbed his genital area against me," these are the irrational things that go through my mind. I have not been unclothed around anyone, though some of my outfits are thin, (tights and skirts) and I occasionally have to clean a unisex restroom. All of these things freak me out. I realize people dirty dance or grind on each other all the time at school dances and nothing happens, but I'm always worried I somehow did something sexual that is going to get me pregnant, even with no direct genital contact whatsoever.

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey meow, have you seen this piece? Pregnancy Scared?

If you haven't had a read through that, I think it could really help reassure you that you've got nothing to be concerned about per pregnancy.

[ 03-21-2013, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meowmeow26
Neophyte
Member # 105289

I have [Frown] I'm just worried anyways. I know that's ridiculous.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not ridiculous. Your feelings are your feelings and perfectly okay because of that, not ridiculous at all. All this anxiety can't be fun for you though, so I'm wondering if you've thought about talking to a counselor about it? Do you have any strategies that you've developed for yourself to help when you get really anxious?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meowmeow26
Neophyte
Member # 105289

Yeah, I JUST got done talking to a counselor to set up some appointments. I work at a counseling facility ironically so they're going to help me for free. I also am on Citalopram for the anxiety, but when I take it, it throws off my period [Frown]
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Hey, Citalopram-buddy. [Smile] I'm glad you have some appointments set up with a counselor, hopefully they can help you deal with your anxiety and find some techniques that work for you when you're feeling anxious.

It might be worth checking with your doctor to see about a switch in medication, too. Just like with any other medication, it can take some trial and error to find the right anti-anxiety med, and sometimes a combination of two can be the best fit.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.