Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Handwashing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Handwashing
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick question. My boyfriend just ejaculated and washed his hands with bar soap. Right after him I washed my hands with the same bar soap and then without drying my hands, I washed my vulva and felt inside my vagina and touched my cervix. Immediately after I washed my hands again with the same soap and warm water (not sure how well i eashed the soap off though) and got worried because my boyfriend told me he had used it to wash his hands. Just wanted to know if sperm can survive on a bar of soap like that and still be viable. Could I have transferred it to my hands from the bar of soap when I touched myself?
Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please help! I can't find this answer in any of the articles [Frown]
Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi srk20. This article DOES cover situations like this:

Pregnancy Scared?

Do you want to maybe go over why you think the articles DON'T cover your situation (because really, they do)? How about you go through that article and copy and paste the bits that you think DO apply to your situation, and see if you can come to any conclusions about a potential risk based on that?

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Have you not had any kind of sex at all (and were not sexually assaulted), but are worried because of something like touching a partner's hand then touching yourself, or using a towel that may have had dried semen on it? These kinds of scenarios do NOT pose risks of pregnancy. Sperm and ovum need specific conditions in which to co-create a pregnancy, and these ain't them.

I guess that would be the section closest to my case but I'm confused because everything that I've read talks about washing semen off with soap and water but I'm confused because I don't know if the soap itself could have had semen on it from my boyfriend using it before me since he picked it up with the hand he had ejaculate on. Since this is bar soap, I'm concerned that I didn't wash the semen off properly after I used the soap and I also didn't dry my hands before touching inside my vagina. My situation is so strange that I can't even find any relevant questions on the boards- they are all only about washing with soap and water, nothing about whether the soap itself could have semen on it.

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the kinds of transfer that that section of the article talks about applies to ALL objects, including bars of soap. In all of those situations, you're talking about small amounts of ejaculate being transferred from place to place, and as the article makes clear, that does not pose risks of pregnancy.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5775 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.