Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » BC question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BC question
princess562008
Activist
Member # 42812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for princess562008     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I have a birth control question. I am on Ocella and have been for over 3 years. I am normally very good about taking the pill on time consistently at about 11:30 pm. I just finished my first week of the pack.

My problem is that for two nights in a row (the last two nights of the week) I went to bed early and forgot to wake back up to take the pill until in between 4:30am and 5 am. I understand that doing this one night is no big deal, but this happened two nights in a row and I had sex on both those days. Do you think I should take Plan B? Or is it not a big deal because it was only about 5 hours late on both nights? I can go buy it with no problem, but I don't want to spend $50 if I am overreacting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 41 | From: usa | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I understanding that you made up those missed pills, both nights, and did so only five hours later than you would normally take them?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
princess562008
Activist
Member # 42812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for princess562008     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I made up the pills separately during each of the two nights between 4:30am- 5am, which was about 5 hours late from my approx. 11:30 usual time. I took each pill about 5ish hours late for two nights in a row.
Posts: 41 | From: usa | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, if you're using a combined (not mini) pill, then those pills weren't even technically late. You have a 12-hour grace period until pills are late with the combined pill.

So, I see no need for EC here, though it does sound like you might benefit from switching to a time to take your pills that isn't so late, especially since unless you work nights or something, that's a mighty-late bedtime and probably you are going to want to go to bed earlier than that sometimes. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
princess562008
Activist
Member # 42812

Ok, two more questions:
1) Is all Ocella a combined pill? I assume so, but I just figured I would double check. I don't think I am on a mini pill, but it's safest to ask. Mine is a 28 day pack.

2) I do want to switch the time when I am taking the pill to 9pm. It was so late (11:30pm) cause when I started the pill I was in college. I am now a working girl and can't stay up that late consistently. Can I change at any time, or should I wait until I start a new pack to change?

Heather
Member # 3

If you look at your patient information leaflet, and it says is contains estrogen, you can know you're using a combination pill. Ocella, to my knowledge, only comes as a combination pill.

And yeah, that funny thing about bedtimes and getting older. [Smile]

Since it's only a change by a couple hours, you could change that time whenever you liked.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your doctor or pharmacist is the best person to ask about specific drug details; whoever prescribed it to you would know what kind it is.

Since, as Heather said, there's a 12-hour window when you can take a combination pill and be "on time," it's no problem to switch to taking it 2.5 hours earlier. Just start taking it then whenever you like (if it's a minipill your window is 3 hours so you'd still be fine).

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.