Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » STDs/HIV/worries about everything

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STDs/HIV/worries about everything
shandi
Neophyte
Member # 100642

Icon 9 posted      Profile for shandi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I met a guy who is a lot older than me about two weeks ago and have not reached to a point of sexual intercourse yet, though I will continue to explain several worries I have regarding STDs, HIV, and other risks and questions I have, I hope you can bear with me and help me out.

I made out with him a lot and it involves a lot of french kisses and deep kisses, and have also gave him over 8 hand jobs without using condoms since meeting him.

I told him I was not ready to do anything sexual with my genitals so all we did was kiss and giving him hand jobs. Even though it doesn't sound a lot these two activities has caused me an amount of thoughts and worries because I'm very inexperienced and not very educated about sex.

So my questions are:

1) Can you kiss someone if you have cuts on your lips? Like chapped lips with a bit of cracked skin, will that create risks for catching stds/hiv?
The other day before I made out my lips were slightly chapped but after I think it got infected so there's a small ulcer, it probably wasn't from kissing i'm not sure..- should I be worried?

2) What about giving hand jobs?
If you have very tiny cuts on fingers or just general cuticle area with thinner skin, will that create risks for HIV/STDs? is there a difference between if the cuts are bleeding or not bleeding?

3) what about kissing and giving handjobs in general? Are there any dangers with my partner and I?

4) Can you catch or have any risks if you don't use a condom for hand jobs? Are you supposed to use a condom or is it okay to not use it?

I have asked my guy very briefly that I have worries about diseases after a few make outs and a few handjobs.. and he told me that he was tested a few months ago, then I asked if he was with anyone physically after the test and be said not with anyone unprotected (should I be worried?). I also did not see any actual results on paper and have not asked anymore if he was thoroughly tested for STDs as well as HIVs.
So..
5) If I continue kissing, making out, and giving him hand jobs, am I at any risks of damaging my own sexual well-being and health?

6) Is there anything I should ask him before I continue doing these things? Like supposingly asking even more about his past history Or am I fine without any problems just kissing and giving him handjobs?

7) If I decide to give him blowjobs, but with condoms on, do I need to be aware or any risks beforehand or talk to him first, or can I just let it happen when I'm ready?

8) What about blow jobs without a condom?

For general sexual questions about men-
9) do older men tend to get blue balls very easily after foreplay? Is it much better to give them release than to leave them?
10) Is it normal that my guy tells me he has to cum twice in the same day? And how often is normal for a guy to want to cum in a week? I want to make sure Im' not being used and have a reasonable amount of intimacy with him.

so far I have boundaries to not include anything with losing my virginity or contact with my genitals so these are the concerns I have so far, I hope all my concerns can be thoroughly answered as I couldn't find any accurate and helpful answers anywhere else.

I thank you in advance for helping me out and solving my worries, and I hope there weren't TOO many questions..

I am starting to develop feelings for my guy and would like to bond better with him physically without giving out my virginity, but I don't want to feel uncomfortable after so I would really like to have these questions answered, thank you so much.

I also don't know how much intimacy is considered normal meeting someone in the early stages. Should a relationship not have so much intimacy in the beginning or do all these just depend on the couple?

Posts: 13 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi shandi and welcome to Scarleteen,

I'll answer your last question first. There is no "right" amount of or timing for romantic and sexual intimacy between people. Everyone does and feels comfortable with something different. So, if what you're doing feel comfortable for both you and your partner, then it's what's right for you and your partner.

Kissing and manual sex (that's giving someone a hand job) are lower risk sexual activities. The risks are increased if there are open cuts, though small scratches on the hands, or, as you mentioned, thinner skin around the cuticles do not pose an increased risk. Risk with kissing is also increased if one or both people have sores on or inside their mouth.

It's always up to you whether you want to use a condom. If using one for giving a handjob would make you feel more comfortable, then by all means you can do it that way. Another alternative is to wear a latex (or non-latex alternative) glove on your hand so that your partner's fluids do not come in contact with your skin. Know too that some STIs can be transmitted through skin-to-skin contact. Since you're not haengaging in genital-to-genital contact this isn't as much of a concern for you; you'll just want to make sure you wash your hands (always a good practice anyway) before and after engaging in manual sex with your partner. Using a glove can make this simpler as you can just take it off and discard it.

You may find this guide to sexual activities and sexually transmitted infections helpful.

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/crisis/sti_risk_assessment_the_cliffs_notes

IN terms of blue balls, what that is is vasocongestion, and it can happen to guys of any age. It's not harmful at all, and it's always up to you whether you want to then engage in activities that will lead to orgasm for the guy. That is, you don't have to do anything that will result in his orgasm if you don't want to. Someone who has "blue balls" always has options for dealing with it, whether that's doing something themselves that gives them the release of orgasm or doing other things to release the discomfort.

Here's some more information on FBI Files: Vasocongestion, AKA: Blue Balls

Is this helpful? If you have any more questions or need to talk this through further, please don't hesitate to post again. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shandi
Neophyte
Member # 100642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shandi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Thanks for your response. My concern right now is that he told me he gets tested for STDs every six months and he said he was clean when I gave him hand jobs. I don't know if he had been with anyone else before i was with him after he was tested, and he said he was always using protection if he was engaging in sexual activity with anyone else before. I didn't ask him further when I gave him all those hand jobs. Can I trust him to know that he was STD free when all that happen to ensure that I am at no risk for STDs?

Also, another thing is, do I have to get checked for STDs if the only sexual activity I've ever done was manual sex? (hand jobs) I have no done anything else that was oral, vaginal, or anal.

Thanks,
Shandi

Posts: 13 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shandi
Neophyte
Member # 100642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shandi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and one more thing- does it mean you're sexually active if you have only given hand jobs? Or does sexually active mean having actual vaginal sex?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were a healthcare professional to ask you if you were sexually active, the right answer in that case would be, "I engage in manual sex." In other words, yes, you're sexually active, in that way. If you engage in any other sexual activities, you'd mention those.

And if you said that, they'd not likely suggest STI testing, as contracting STIs only through contact between someone else's genitals and your hands would be highly uncommon.

As well, if you washed your hands after these handjobs, you would have basically assured that you were without risk of infections.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.