Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » How do I help?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do I help?
marimo
Neophyte
Member # 104421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marimo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trigger Warning.....
Someone I know has recently survived a kidnapping and attempted rape, but was able to escape. I have not talked to her directly, and I live far away from her but I wanted to know what I can do to help her? Are there any good resources I can offer her?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing you could do is just reach out, in whatever way you normally talk to her (phone, email, etc.) to let her know you're thinking of her and maybe ask specifically if there's a way you can support her. It could be that she doesn't know yet exactly what she needs from her friends, but just letting her know you want to be supportive might be helpful. And if she does know something you could do to help, then you'll know that and have a sense of the best things you can do for her.

As for resources, if there's a rape crisis center in her area that could definitely be a big help to her. If you know the general area she lives in, we can do some looking to see if there's one around her.

Posts: 1346 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[oops, double-post]

[ 03-16-2013, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Molias ]

Posts: 1346 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.