Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Early withdrawal bleed...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Early withdrawal bleed...
ImaRocketDog2
Neophyte
Member # 96982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ImaRocketDog2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I just had a question about my withdraws bleed on the pill. I just started taking the pill recently (Orsythia, which if I remember is the generic of Aviane and is somewhat newer), and I'm currently on the 2nd to last day of the 2nd week of my 3rd pack. I do know from reading on this site (which was super-informative to me long before I even got on the pill, thank you) that withdrawal bleeds can be a bit whacky in the first few months, so it's not something I'm hugely concerned about, just curious.

During the first pack, my withdrawal bleed started on the 3rd day of the placebo week and was lighter/shorter than my periods had been, lasting only 3 days, all of which I had pretty much expected. However, during my second pack last month, I started bleeding about a week and a half earlier, which lasted about 6 days, but ended right before the placebo week started and I did not bleed during the placebo pills that month.

Now, this wouldn't have been such a huge deal, but considering my main reason for going on the pill to begin with was to regulate my periods it was pretty annoying! So far I haven't really experienced any other typical pill side effects (no depression, drop in libido, other mood symptoms, headaches haven't been worse/more frequent, etc.), so otherwise everything has been pretty good. I guess my question is, do I have any reason to be concerned about getting my withdrawal bleed during the active pills rather than placebos in just my 2nd pack? Can I possibly expect the same thing to happen this month, or is my bleed likely to fall during the placebo week as should be expected? Like I said, I'm not extremely worried about this, I just want to make sure I have no reason to worry. Since I've had no other side effects and no other changes in health since starting the pill I figured I don't have to worry, but it still never hurts to ask. :)Thanks!

(Also, I doubt this affects anything, but in case it does I might as well put out there that I have yet to be sexually active in any manner.)

~Leanne

--------------------
Kirk/Spock: A better love story than Twilight since 1966

Posts: 12 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you tell me when you started the pill -- on your first pack -- in relationship to your period? Did you start it on day one of a period or before the first Sunday?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Also, if your periods have been very irregular before, did your healthcare provider look into why, and tell you, or give you some idea, of why they thought they were?)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ImaRocketDog2
Neophyte
Member # 96982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ImaRocketDog2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and should probably mention that I've never missed a pill, the latest I've ever taken a pill has been 3 hours (which happened once in the first pack and once in the second), and the earliest has been by 2 hours (I took it early because I knew that because of circumstances that day it would be inconvenient to take it at my usual time. This also occurred the day after the 2nd pill I took 3 hrs. late).

--------------------

Posts: 12 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Can you answer my other questions for me?

(Great sigline, btw. [Smile] )

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

ImaRocketDog2
Neophyte
Member # 96982

Oops, sorry, your replies hadn't shown up before I posted again,sorry about that!

I did a Sunday start with my pill. In the past, my periods weren't extremely irregular, they could fluctuate by about a week but over the past few months they seemed to be gradually happening earlier (average cycle went from 28 days to 22 days). During my exam when she prescribed the pills my doctor didn't indicate an exact cause; she said she'd like to see how the pills would work out for me. She asked me about any other symptoms (diarrhea, really heavy/painful periods, etc.), but since those rarely tend to happen to me and my periods weren't so wildly irregular most of the time, the cause didn't seem to be readily discernible.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

You know, given that it sounds like you still don't know the why of the menstrual issues, I'd not be concerned about this. because it could well be that what you're seeing is that the pill may not, in fact, change that irregularity because there's something else going on that needs to be addressed or evaluated.

I'd just check back in with your doctor after the third pack and fill her in on what's gone on.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

ImaRocketDog2
Neophyte
Member # 96982

Ok, thank you!

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.