Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Consecutive Pill Packs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Consecutive Pill Packs
wanderlusting
Neophyte
Member # 96408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderlusting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently just got over a bout of strep throat, and have been on penicillin for 10 days, tomorrow. I know it is suggested that a backup method in addition to the pill be used during antibiotic regimens and for 7 days after. My boyfriend is coming to visit in about a week, the day after I normally begin the inactive pills of my pack. I was wondering if a) it would be possible for me to just take two pill packs in a row, skipping the placebo period for this month and b) if doing so would reset the cycle of protection. I know normally missed or late pills in one cycle do not affect the next cycle, and I just wanted to see if the same would be true post antibiotics doing consecutive packs. Thank you!
Posts: 33 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can certainly skip the placebo week if you like, but since you're still on the antibiotics now, doing so will not "reset" your protection. Whether or not you have a placebo week, you still need to use a backup method of birth control for at least a week following anything that might compromise the effectiveness of the pill.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5779 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wanderlusting
Neophyte
Member # 96408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderlusting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I end the antibiotics tomorrow, which is a little over a week before I should begin the placebo period of my pack. I will have been off for 7 days by the time I would, possibly, begin the new pack sans placebo pills.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.