Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Denied morning after pill??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Denied morning after pill??
Neophyte
Member # 100948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 708     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

today my boyfriend and I had sex. After he finished (he came inside me) he pulled out and noticed the top of the condom had entirely ripped off. I'm on th e nexplanon implant but he was worried so I went to get morning after pill at my family planning clinic. The woman/nurse said I didn't need it, even though I said I wanted it for my own and my partner's piece of mind. She checked my implant and said it looked fine and I would be okay.

That's all well and good, but I just feel this would have helped put my mind at rest, as well as his. I was honest and said I didn't get it but said we probably don't have anything to worry about, but still. I'm annoyed the condom failed in this way (the top looked as if it had seperated, not ripped, really strange) and that I wasn't given the pill even when I said I wanted it. This doesn't help my anxiety either.

Not sure what the purpose of this post was but I guess I'm just a bit worried, and also annoyed this happened. :/

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you may still have the option of getting it over the counter, if you like.

However, your implant is more effective than Plan B. Plan B can't do anything it isn't doing already, so it doesn't actually give you any extra protection. Kind of like, say, adding a 15 SPF sunscreen to a 30 SPF sunscreen wouldn't actually give you a 45 SPF, if that makes sense: you'd still only be at 30.

It also really isn't sound, health-wise, to take any extra hormones we don't have to, and a healthcare provider does have to act in the interests of your health, which may be why this went the way it did.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, per your condom, it sounds to me like this was most likely about a storage issue: that it may have degraded from being stored improperly.

OR, you may not have been using enough lubricant with it or, if you didn't check the date on it, it may have been expired.

Just some possibilities to help you prevent more breaks in the future.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neophyte
Member # 100948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 708     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Heather, and thanks for the swift reply,

That's very interesting, I like how you put it with the whole sunscreen analogy. That is a real comfort, so thank you. Will use that to explain it to my boyfriend. I wish it was explained to me that way in the first place, rather than saying 'no seriously, you don't need it.'

it was in date and I store them in a small box and used lubricant but perhaps not enough. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate your help and I feel much better about this.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I agree, "You don't need it," isn't a very respectful or helpful way to give you this information. I'm sorry that was how this initially happened for you, and I'm sure that didn't help you deal with the tough feelings you were already having!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Neophyte
Member # 100948

It didn't, no. I guess I was just overly worried about the risk of pregnancy and our meeting probably lasted less than 5 minutes so I walked out feeling flustered and annoyed.

I know the risk is very low concerning my implant is in correct and functioning, but it doesn't help ease any worries when a healthcare professional won't stop to reassure you. :/

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.