Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » confused and worried

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: confused and worried
newhappenings
Neophyte
Member # 33429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newhappenings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. Just need some advice and reassurance. Two weeks ago tomorrow night, for the first time in my life, to my shame, I had a one night stand, due to alcohol..no excuse..but it happened.
I take the pill, yasmin. I usually take the pill every night as I good to bed, but the tuesday before the event I forgot a pill and took it first thing the next morning. Also on the night in question I didnt take my pill at the exact time but did take it when I got home early the next morning which would of been within the 12 hour rule.
I didnt have full sex. I asked the guy to use a condom which he said he did plus he was only inside me for half a minute becasue it was too painful. Which means I guess he did not ejaculate which he even says we didnt have full sex. So with my anxiety I went to get emergency contraception within 12 hours of the sex..I would say I took it about 10 hours after the sex .
So I stopped my pill last saturday, as I was due on my pill free week. To my shame and anxiety I must admit that after the event along with taking emergency contraception I tooj too pills of my normal pill yasmin everyday, one in the morning and one every night as usual for the last week of my pill as I thought it may help if there was any pregnancy risk. So the night of the sex I would estimate that I was at a fertile period. I usually get a bleed about 6 days after I stop my pill so im due a bleed tomorrow. .please god.
So my question is if I get a bleed does that mean im definitely not pregnant, or should I take a test too in case.
im nervous, embarrassed and need advice. My breasts are sore and swollen I think because I took so many pills. What do u guys think are my chances of being pregnant?
Thank you in advance. .newhappenings x

Posts: 4 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I ask why you're feeling ashamed about this? Is it something you really didn't want to do?

As we've made clear in several posts in the forums, including the one posted right at the top of this section, we're not doing pregnancy risk assessments for users like you're asking for: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/028349.html

You can read through that post, if you haven't already, and use the tools and information you'll find there to assess your risk for yourself. If you don't understand any of that, we're happy to try and fill in any blanks for you, or help you better understand any information you couldn't. [Smile]

Please do your health a favor though, and STOP taking all of these extra pills. That actually poses health risks to you: the pill is designed to mainly be taken at the dosage prescribed. All those extra pills can't make your pill any more effective than it already is, it can just make you feel crummy and potentially pose long-term health risks.

(You might also want to understand that the idea of "fertile periods" or "fertile times" doesn't apply, at all, to people using combination hormonal contraceptives, like the patch, ring or pill, as you are.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newhappenings
Neophyte
Member # 33429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newhappenings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You see my doctor told me that having a withdrawel bleed does not necessarily mean that I am not pregnant. She said I would have to take a pregnancy test three weeks after the sex to determine that I am safe.
Why am I embarrassed? Cause sexx for me has always been painful and I was in a terrible abusive relationship for 2 years with a man who use to force me to have sex on occassions and who constantly tried to get me pregnant. So for two years I had to do everything in my power to stop me getting pregnant and I feel ashammed after that horrible experience that I was stupid enough to go home with a stranger and attempt to have sex with him..sorry for my rant

Posts: 4 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay to feel how you feel. It's just that if this was something you wanted to do, this one-night-stand, I don't see anything to feel ashamed about, nor do I understand why you're saying what you did was about being stupid. After all, following what you want, if that's what you did here, isn't about anyone forcing you or being dumb: it's about doing what YOU want to do.

By all means your doctor is correct that the only absolute way to determine of someone is pregnant or not is with a test. However, it sounds like you perhaps took away that withdrawal bleeds, like periods, are never indications someone isn't pregnant, when they most typically are. As well, it sounds like you're not taking into account that it sounds like THREE forms of contraception were used here: your pill, a condom and then emergency contraception, as well.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newhappenings
Neophyte
Member # 33429

Heather thank you for time and advice. You are very kind. So can I just confirm if I dont get a bleed before I start my new pills on sunday, should I take a test then or wait for a full 3 weeks after the sex I promise I wont annoy you again after this question [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

You're welcome, I'm happy to help.

Generally, with pregnancy testing, you want to take a test no sooner than a period (or withdrawal bleed) is missed or late. If you want to wait until you can be the most sure a test will be fully effective, then 3 weeks after a risk (or one week after a period is late) is a good framework.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

newhappenings
Neophyte
Member # 33429

Thank you..you guys are angels.. very dedicated. Thanks for ur time and reassurance x
Heather
Member # 3

You got it. [Smile]

And if you want to talk through any of your feelings of shame around this so you can ditch them, you know where to find us. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.