Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » plan b twice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: plan b twice
pinkstarrs
Neophyte
Member # 26215

Icon 4 posted      Profile for pinkstarrs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took plan B twice in one month and ive been spotting twice a month for three months now. should i go see a doctor or wait?
Posts: 33 | From: us | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI There,

it's not unusual after taking Plan B, be it once, or more often than that, to experience alterations to one's menstrual cycle (including spotting) for several months afterwards.

So, what you're experiencing is not outside of the usual realm of what one would expect. However, if you're uncomfortable or concerned, you certainly can go see a doctor to make sure nothing is amiss.

Would you like to talk about birth control options since you've had an increased need for emergency contraception recently?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkstarrs
Neophyte
Member # 26215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkstarrs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the spotting is still happening twice a month? Should it be taking this long? It's probably been like this for five months now

[ 03-02-2013, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: pinkstarrs ]

Posts: 33 | From: us | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We can't actually say how long it should take for the effects of emergency contraception to go away, particularly since you took it twice in a short period of time.

certainly though, if this spotting is concerning you you can go see a healthcare provider. Do you have one that you can make an appointment with?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkstarrs
Neophyte
Member # 26215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkstarrs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I do. Is it something I could just wait out? Or is it something to be concerned about?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

What you describe isn't ringing alarm bells for me. [Smile] So, if you want to wait it out a few more months, it's likely safe to do so.

Have you taken Plan B since the initial time you took it? Are you on any other sort of birth control?

--------------------
Robin

pinkstarrs
Neophyte
Member # 26215

So it should go back to normal at some point? it can't permanently be like this? No I haven't and I'm not on any birth control.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, plan B can't cause any permanent changes to your body.

Can I ask, though, whether you're up to date with your STI screenings and gyn exams?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5668 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkstarrs
Neophyte
Member # 26215

I'm not up to date on those screenings
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then it sounds like it would be a great idea for you to make an appointment with a gynecologist and get started with your regular check ups. While you are there, you can also ask any questions you may have about your spotting, and discuss your options for birth control.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9027 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.