Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » backing up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: backing up
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that the general rule for antibiotics is to use backup for 7 days after the last pill or a month if you want to be more careful. What is the general rule if the last antibiotic pill is taken on the day of the last placebo pill (no new hormonal pack was taken back to back as some women do). Is 7 days of hormonal pills (first week of the new pack) enough to be effective as there were no antibiotics taken during the current pack? thanks
Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say that no matter when you take them in a pill cycle, backing up for a week of any antibiotics known or suspected to impact pill effectiveness (namely, all the 'cillins) is a best practice.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I thought I replied to this. I was put on Amoxil which I think is one of the penicillins... Because I did not take any antibiotics from the start of my new pack so far (I am in the first week of a new pack) and only did on my last day of sugar pills, it still doesn't make a difference?

I was just worried that if the antibiotic lingered (if it even does that) at the beginning week of my active pill pack, even though I have not taken the antibiotic at all during, that it wont suppress ovulation which would happen next week (I tried to calculate it) as the birth control would not be working properly?

How soon does birth control seem to build itself back up fully? Like if I were to have sex next week, regardless if this week the BC pills may not be at 100% effectiveness because I took antibiotics during my sugar pills, week 2's batch of BC would have me covered anyways?? (as well as week 3 and 4 would have me covered if ovulation occurred then my BC would still protect me in other ways?)

Thanks Heather

[ 03-05-2013, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Stargirl85 ]

Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, you took the antibiotics during withdrawal week, and finished taking them before you started the new pack? If so, you're fine. Once you start a new pack, you can rely on the pill's protection again.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.