Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » 2 weeks late?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 weeks late?!
Hi123
Neophyte
Member # 80085

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Hi123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I'm 17 now, with a boyfriend, and my period is now almost 2 weeks late, and I have no idea what is going on.
I know that the slightest things can throw my period off because it has happened, but by two weeks? My mom won't take me to see an OBGYN because she says it's natural.
This past month was difficult, my boyfriend and I have been fighting so there was definitely no sexual activity, I'm battling depression (non medicated) and I'm under a lot of stress with school and work. I've also been exercising more and eating better.

What is happening with my body?

Thanks.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi There Hi123,

It's really not unusual for periods to not come at the same time every time, particularly within the first few years of getting periods.

All of the things you've mentioned (the stress you're presumably feeling from fighting with your boyfriend, the feelings of depression, the changes in diet and exercise) can have an impact on the hormones that "run" the menstrual cycle, making things with your body behave differently.

From what you describe, too, your cycle tends to be more irregular than regular, which is something a lot of people experience. While many people's bodies do settle into a routine of getting their period after the same number of days (give or take a day or two), some people's bodies don't have that strict of a routine, and that's not necessarily a sign that something is wrong, if that is what is typical for their body.

Does this help at all? [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hi123
Neophyte
Member # 80085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hi123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

This does help thanks [Smile]

The weird thing about me is that I will be regular for 3 or 4 cycles, and then my period will just go insanely irregular once and go back to normal.

I don't know if this is normal either, so I'm okay with it being a few days, even a week late, but 2 weeks is kind of pushing it.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, I know from personal experience that two weeks later than usual is definitely pushing it.

...but that happening every once in a while is not unusual or a sign of something being wrong.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you listing a few likely culprits for irregularity here:
• a lot of stress
• fighting with someone
• unmanaged depression
• changes in diet and exercise

There might be more factors than that, even, but how about working on managing some of THOSE things to see if they make a difference, especially since doing so will also probably improve your general quality of life and overall health?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hi123
Neophyte
Member # 80085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hi123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Heather,
I have been working on some of those things, I'm talking to my guidance counselor about my depression and the fights that my boyfriend and I have had, which in turn reduces my stress, and exercising reduces it as well, which is why I have started it.

I'm just wondering though, could a change in sexual activity also contribute to why my period is late? Because usually my boyfriend and I are active, not sex, but a couple of steps down from that, and we are always very careful, but where we have been fighting, well none of that happened... Could that also be a factor?

Thanks for the help [Smile]

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sexual activity doesn't affect your menstrual cycle at all, no. But as Heather mentioned, there are a lot of other things going on in your life that probably have contributed!
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hi123
Neophyte
Member # 80085

Ok great, thank you for the help! [Smile] I'm going to pray that it starts, as much as I hate dealing with it! xD

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.