Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » worried

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: worried
sunshine_lala
Neophyte
Member # 101736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunshine_lala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If i take birth control what is the side effect? Bec i take meds for ashtma and i take vitamins i dont know if it going to work for me
Posts: 9 | From: florida | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many methods of birth control, not just one, and the possible side effects of all of them aren't the same. However, people taking vitamins is never an issue, and to my knowledge, no method of birth control is an issue per asthma.

However, since most are prescribed or given by a doctor, those methods will all include a doctor considering your past and current health history to make sure whatever method you want is one that's okay for you to use.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunshine_lala
Neophyte
Member # 101736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunshine_lala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happen if i take it everyday and then stop taken it just bec i need a break of sex?
Posts: 9 | From: florida | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any method of birth control needs to be used consistently and correctly to be effective. If you're asking about the pill, that's something that needs to be taken every day, and it's effectiveness doesn't kick in for at least a week after you start, so it isn't recommended that you start and stop taking it often. Does that make sense?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're talking about birth control pills, to use them effectively you would want to continue taking them even if you want to take a break from sexual activity for a while. If you want to take a break from sex you always have that right; you don't need to stop using any method of birth control to make that decision.

Here's a run-down on several forms of birth control that you might find helpful; there are links here to various types including the pill if you want some more information: Birth Control Bingo!

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunshine_lala
Neophyte
Member # 101736

But what happen if i dont wanna use birth control pills no more?
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you want to stop taking birth control pills, that's ok. You don't have to do anything special to stop. Are you on the pill now, or is it something you're considering in the future?
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunshine_lala
Neophyte
Member # 101736

Im in a relationship and im scared so ima get birth control on monday for the first time that why im askin so many question
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Ah, ok! It's fine to ask a lot of questions, I think I was just not sure exactly what the main question was at first. And when you pick up birth control you can ask any other questions about using it that you have to the doctor you see, plus they should give you a lot of information about it without you even having to ask.

Can you talk a little bit about what you're scared about?

sunshine_lala
Neophyte
Member # 101736

Im in a relationship and im scared so ima get birth control on monday for the first time that why im askin so many question
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have an appointment on Monday with a doctor or at a clinic? When you go to your appointment, you can ask all the questions you need to so that you have all the information you need.

Are there any specific questions you have for us right now?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunshine_lala
Neophyte
Member # 101736

Im scared about the condoms breaking and getting prego im to young to have baby that why i wanna get birth control! Should i get birth control or do i really need it and should i be to much worried about the condoms and about birth conrol? Bec i dont want to get hurt by the birth control side affect ! And it would be my first time taking birth control so i really dont know nothing about birth control
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several different kinds of birth control, and the side effects are different for everybody. Some people don't really have side effects at all. Can you tell me what side effects you're worried about here?

It sounds like you're specifically asking about the birth control pill, but there are other options. Most of these birth control options need to be prescribed by a doctor. Do you have a doctor you can go see?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Condoms breaking certainly is a possibility, though if you use the condom properly the risk that it will break is much less.

I'm going to give you an article to read on how to use condoms, so you can check and see if there's anything you need to change with using them. If you have any questions after reading this article, we'll be very happy to talk them through with you.

Condom Basics: A User's Manual

--------------------
Robin

sunshine_lala
Neophyte
Member # 101736

That i could gain wight and yes i have a doctor
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes to keeping the risk of side effects low, you'll simply want to give your doctor a complete medical history, and they'll decide what will be a good fit for you based on your history. The rest is a matter of trial and error - as Robin said, there are lots of different brands of the pill, each with slight variations, and our bodies respond differently to each of them. So sometimes it's a matter of trying two or three until you find one that works well for you. So if you find that you are gaining some weight on one pill, and that's not something you're okay with, you can talk to your doctor about switching to a different brand.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brisky
Neophyte
Member # 104727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brisky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I am a 16 year old teenager & I recently bumped into some articles which spoke about masturbation. Having read that I began to name my activities of rubbing and touching myself as masturbation. I was taken aback since I didnt know I was actually doing that. This has been going on for a long time with me & though I've read that its perfectly normal it still freaks me out that I was doing something of a sexual nature (almost since I was nine or ten) This urge to rub myself happens to me quite a bit sometimes even twice a day! I am quite worried. Also I reach a position when I am rubbing myself that I want to stop and my heart rate increases. Is that an orgasm? Is there something I need to worry about?
Please help!!!

--------------------
Briskyy

Posts: 4 | From: India | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brisky
Neophyte
Member # 104727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brisky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So am I the only one who doesnt get a reply or help from the volunteers? Hurts! I am waiting guys.

--------------------
Briskyy

Posts: 4 | From: India | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hey Brisky and welcome to Scarleteen,

There aren't always staff or volunteers available to answer questions right away, but we get to people's concerns as soon as we can. It's not personal. [Smile]

We do ask that people create their own topic thread for what they want to talk about, so that everyone has their own space to talk about their stuff and there's minimal confusion.

So, if you could start your own thread (you can do so by clicking the "post new topic" link on any page) we'd be happy to talk this through with you.

Thanks.

--------------------
Robin

Brisky
Neophyte
Member # 104727

I am so sorry. My heartfelt apologies. [Frown]
New here. [Frown]

--------------------
Briskyy

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.