Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » General Question about ovulation and the pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: General Question about ovulation and the pill
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nayit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I was just curious about ovulation and birth control pills.

Say I have a 28-29 day cycle. Ideally ovulation occurs roughly 14 days after start of the menstrual cycle (i.e. first day of period).

If I start taking Birth control pills then they generally shorten your cycle don't they? as you get your period roughly on the 22-28th day of the month (so 1st-7th day of the pill free week). So you may get it on the 23rd day or 24th day, shortening your cycle from 28 days to 23-24 days.

I understand some people ovulate on the pill, however the pill works in the remaining 2 days to prevent pregnancy. Does this mean in the event i ovulate on my first month on the pill, it will still occur around the 14-15th day (as was the case previously) or does the body ovulate sooner since the cycle time is reduced?

Posts: 35 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi nayit,

I'm really not sure what you're asking here.

First of all, do you get a 28-day cycle? Not everyone does. Even if they do, that doesn't mean that all people wil ovulate on the 14th day. The only way a person can know when they ovulate is by tracking their own body--basal body temperature and cervical mucus--for several months.

What I'm trying to say here is that the body is super-individual.

I think it might help here to understand how birth control pills work.
The primary way combination birth control pills work is by preventing ovulation. Yes, there will be a small number of people who do ovulate, at least sometimes, while taking combination birth control pills; however, for the majority of people, ovulation just isn't going to be part of what's going on with their body while they're on the pill. The other ways birth control pills work to prevent pregnancy are by thickening cervical mucus--which makes it harder for sperm to move--and thinning the uterine lining.

Birth control pills really don't "shorten" a cycle. The reason the withdrawal bleed comes during the placebo week is that the body is "withdrawing" from the hormones that were taken during the rest of the month.

Were someone to ovulate while on the pill, it still wouldn't be possible to predict or know when that ovulation would be taking place.

The body isn't a machine, and it's not possible to predict anything by the number of days, unless, as with birth control pills, the number of days a bodily process happens is being controlled by something else.

here's a piece that might explain this more clearly than I just did.

How do birth control pills really work, even during the placebo period?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nayit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much for the above link, it was most helpful.

My question was even though I just started my pill for the first time this week, would I go through ovulation this month? or is the suppression of ovulation something that can't be predicted?

Posts: 35 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you started the pill on day one of your menstrual period, or on or before the first Sunday after it began, then yes, your pill should suppress ovulation for you this month.

If you did not, then it may not be fully effective in that way -- or the others -- until you're on your next pack of pills.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68085 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nayit
Neophyte
Member # 47861

Thank you

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.