Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » 2 negative tests 14 days after a suspected risk

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 negative tests 14 days after a suspected risk
ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParanoidConfused     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize that I've been posting alot lately, but talking about this helps me reason that I've got nothing to worry about. Sorry about all the strange/irrelevant posts.

Anyways, as the title says, she took two tests in the late afternoon, 13 and 14 days after we had intercourse and I'd initiated without the condom on (Most likely did not ejaculate during this). Meanwhile, she expected her period this week but it has yet to show. She's been experiencing fatigue and some cramping, but other than that nothing really.

Something has dawned on me though. From what I understand, ovulation is usually signaled by an increase in mucus that is watery and like egg whites, which she had experienced just last week. Meaning her period isn't late yet, nor was it due this week at all... I dunno, i might just be over-analyzing this, but that's what it seems like. Any thoughts on this situation?

Again, sorry for all the posts.

Posts: 42 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ParanoidConfused,

I have found a couple of pages to be really helpful. Check out Pregnancy Risk Assessment and A Guide to Menstruation .

After you give them a look, let me know if you still have questions.

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleigh H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleigh H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would be a great thing if you shared this information with you partner and talked about it together. What do you think?

--------------------
Haleigh

Posts: 176 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParanoidConfused     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much for the articles, though I have read them including the articles relating to FAM and Vaginal Discharge as well as the fact that the menstrual cycle can be influenced by multiple outside factors. I assessed the risk and decided there was some risk involved, thus we decided that testing would be appropriate.
I've assessed that pregnancy is not likely, especially with the two negatives. Though it would be safe practice to test again in a week.

Posts: 42 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

Yeah guess I've got nothing to worry about, huh?
ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

My last question before I let this thread die. Can i trust these test results or should she re test later?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really if she tests again or not is up to her, since she's the one taking these and this is about her body.

But if her period doesn't show up in another week or two, it may be wise for her to retest just to be sure. Ideally, she'd have waited until her period was certainly late -- and if it's at least somewhat regular, she likely knows when to expect it even without knowing when she may ovulate -- so she (and you) could just let this go, but since you didn't, if it is late, she'll likely want to retest.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

Well she took plan B last month and her cycles have been sorta wacky before that. They used to be regular but now not so much.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, maybe the best bet is for her to go by the most average cycle: whenever it's been more than, let's say, 33 days or so since her last period, she should figure it may be late.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

33 days puts the expected time to today, so there's that. She says it's on the way and the tests are just to be sure.
Heather
Member # 3

Like I said, this really is about what she wants. She's in her own body and likely knows how something like PMS feels for her, so I'd trust her on that, and if she's letting it go, I'd suggest you do, too.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

Ok thanks for the advice and quick responses.
Heather
Member # 3

Sure thing. Tell my hometown hi for me, would you? [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.