Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » GF's period a week late..very concerned

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GF's period a week late..very concerned
rawnplat
Neophyte
Member # 104777

Icon 11 posted      Profile for rawnplat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scarleteen,

I've been reading around this website the past couple days, including posts and articles, and have concluded (or so I thought) that nothing that happened between my girlfriend and me poses a real risk of pregnancy. However, she is now a week late, and every day that goes by I get more anxious.

She is 17 and typically has 32-35 day cycles. We had protected sex on the 26th day of her cycle (only time this month), so at the time we were not concerned about ovulation because we estimated her fertile time to be closer to day 20. I've been reliving everything that occured, trying to recall anything that could have happened, and the only things that I could think of were the following:

1) Prior to putting the condom on, I touched my penis and MAY have gotten precum on my fingers. I then put the condom on and fingered her, but I touched several surfaces in between so I would imagine there would be very little remaining on my fingers.

2) I pulled out either immediately before or after ejaculation (it all happened close to the same time, I am not sure of the order. When I pulled out, the condom had slipped very slightly (less than 1/4 of the way off), but the semen was in the tip of the condom, where it should be, and no signs of any leaking out of the bottom.

Again, I have read your "Pregnancy Scared" and "Human Reproduction" articles, as well as previous post, and it seems as though nothing of risk occured. The condom did not fail by Scarleteen's definition (no damage, did not slip off), and I have seen several threads where the experts said a minimal amount of precum poses no risk.

I also read your "Period MIA" article. She was sick twice during this cycle, both times very briefly. She also endured some extra stress later in her cycle (after when she should have ovulated).

My main concern is how late she is. I am aware that in teenage girls, some irregularity is normal , and I realize that her cycle is longer than average anyways, but a week late just seems like a little much. She took a pregnancy test this morning (15 days after risk) and it came back negative. All signs are pointing to her not being pregnant, but she still has not started her period! Any advice/reassurance would be appreciated. The past week has been very rough for me...lots of anxiety and stress.

Thank you for your help!

Posts: 4 | From: College | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and welcome to Scarleteen, rawnplat.

You are correct in that there's minimal to no risk in this situation you've described- and good on you for doing the reading and research!

You are already aware of the reasons why your girlfriend's period may be late; you've stated that she's been sick a couple times and stressed, and that could very well put it off for a while, even a week.

I would take a breather. She took the test 15 days after the risk, which showed negative, so she's not pregnant. If she misses 3 periods (presuming there is no legitimate future risk of pregnancy) then it would be time for her to speak with her doctor, where they would identify the cause of that.

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rawnplat
Neophyte
Member # 104777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rawnplat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Allie,

Thanks a lot for the quick response and the reassurance! As careful as we were, I would have been devastated if she were somehow pregnant.

For the time being, I suppose we will keep waiting for her period. She has two more pregnancy tests in case it doesn't show up soon, but we're hoping it does..so ready for this to be over!!

We definitely won't be having anymore sex for a while after this ordeal, so we will keep an eye on any missed periods. Overall, would you agree that it's safe to say she isn't pregnant, and this is just a freak occurrence?

Posts: 4 | From: College | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, what with the stress and sickness she's been through, on top of the negative pregnancy test, and the very minimal pregnancy risk to begin with, you're fine.

I wouldn't say it was a freak occurrence, because there's a number of legitimate reasons as to why her period is late. Though to iterate, it's important for her to get in touch with her health provider if she misses a few more, as the reasons aren't (and won't be, if you're choosing to abstain from intercourse/direct genital contact) due to pregnancy but are still things she'd want to get sorted out.

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rawnplat
Neophyte
Member # 104777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rawnplat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much. I really needed to hear this from a reliable source..very glad I discovered Scarleteen!

I do have one more question, though. She has heard from a couple friends, and I have seen articles online, which suggest that high doses of pure Vitamin C (without bioflavinoids) can help encourage menstruation to start. Thus, she recently bought a Vitamin C supplement and has been making a conscious effort to include more in her diet for the past couple days.

Does this theory have any valid basis? Right now, she is just doing this with the "Well, it couldn't hurt" mindset, and I don't want her to risk any negative side effects if Vitamin C has no effect on menstruation whatsoever.

Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

I don't believe there are. We'd have to do some outside research and see if there've been any controlled studies on this claim, but right now my answer would be no.

There are more drawbacks than benefits with taking vitamin supplements, more often than not, because one can obtain a sufficient amount of nutrients through diet alone- provided that they don't have any particular deficiencies. An excess of anything, including vitamins, is detrimental.

So I would recommend that your girlfriend not continue with taking the supplements, as it may do her more harm than good. In the very least, it won't jump-start her period.

--------------------
AAR

rawnplat
Neophyte
Member # 104777

Okay thanks again! I'll definitely recommend this site to any of my friends who have questions in the future =]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.