Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pregnancy risk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy risk?
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJK2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
another concern real quick is having him cum with the handjob before would the sperm be killed once he wiped it and let it dry for a couple minutes. Also the precum wouldn't affect anything with taking plan b? And ive had lower abdominal pains in the 48 hours after taking plan b does that suggest its working? Sorry I'm freaking out so much and thanks so much for the help and answers!
[Smile]

--------------------
KJK2

Posts: 87 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wiping semen doesn't "kill" sperm cells.

But to create a pregnancy sperm cells NEED that fluid. As well, for a pregnancy to happen, there really has to be direct genital-to-genital contact OR direct contact between semen and a vulva. That's why our articles and information about pregnancy risk make clear that manual sex -- handjobs, fingering, etc. -- isn't a kind of sex that poses risks of pregnancy.

Plan B can have some side effects, and tummy troubles can be one of them. But having side effects or not doesn't give us any information on if Plan B will be effective or not. The only thing to do if you have had a risk and have taken Plan B is just to wait things out, either until a menstrual period, or after you have missed one (or think you may have) and its time for a pregnancy test.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJK2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if it's wiped and dry after a couple minutes then inserted the sperm will not be capable of causing pregnancy?

--------------------
KJK2

Posts: 87 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are engaging in intercourse,there is always some risk of pregnancy.

In other words, once intercourse is happening, there's no more talk of no pregnancy risks, because that's what can create a pregnancy.

If a partner doesn't ejaculate, then that risk is much lower, but there's still a small risk, expressly because of pre-ejaculate. And you can't know during intercourse if someone's penis is or stays "dry" because it's common to pre-ejaculate while that's happening. Make sense?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Yes so using plan b within the 45-46th hour was a smart choice? And thanks so much!

--------------------
KJK2

Heather
Member # 3

If you wanted to reduce your risk of pregnancy from intercourse, then yes: that's the only way to do that.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Thanks so much Heather! Also thanks so much for answering back so quickly!

--------------------
KJK2

Heather
Member # 3

Happy to be of help. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

If no ejaculation inside of me and plan b = no risk of pregnancy. But would the sperm from the handjob be cable of pregnancy if it's let dry for minutes. What are the chances of combined with plan b?

--------------------
KJK2

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify: Taking Plan B reduces your risk. It doesn't mean there is no risk.

As to your second question, can you please first look back up through the thread aand read whatHeather said about manual sex and pregnancy risks?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

I'm still a little confused on exactly what that means

--------------------
KJK2

Heather
Member # 3

What what means: manual sex? If so, manual sex, as I explained earlier, is a term used to describe genital sex with hands, like handjobs or fingering. These are not the kinds of sex that present pregnancy risks.

As I understand it, you engaged in intercourse, and that's where there are risks of pregnancy.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

But the risk is much lower if he did not ejaculate and only precum might have happened? Also the handjob and spern from before does not effect that risk if the fluid in which the sperm needs is dry?

--------------------
KJK2

Heather
Member # 3

As I have already explained, you used withdrawal -- and properly, meaning he withdrew his penis from your vagina well before, or without, ejaculation -- and Plan B with the intercourse, which was the only sexual activity you have asked about here that DOES pose pregnancy risks.

And as I have already explained, combining withdrawal and Plan B, when both used properly, as they were, is over 99% effective at preventing pregnancy in one year of use. AND as I already explained, proper use of withdrawal takes pre-ejaculate into account.

No need to discuss the manual sex because, again, that kind of sexual activity does not pose pregnancy risks.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Okay thank you for clarifying

--------------------
KJK2

Heather
Member # 3

And, like I said, if you want to talk about what you actually CAN do at this point -- namely, make different choices moving forward from here, either per what kinds of sex you choose to engage in, negotiating condom use or using more reliable contraception you feel better about -- we can do that.

And since there's nothing else about this previous possible risk you can do anything else about at this point, that'd really be the only productive conversation we could have about this. It's probably also a very smart one TO have if you don't want to wind up in this spot again, okay?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.