Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Period question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period question
Effect
Neophyte
Member # 101002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Effect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all, im a guy and my girlfriend usually has a cycle that is 27-36 days long, yesterday the 23rd she got her period, but her previous period had been somewhere between the 4th-8th of this month (cant remember exactly) this is the first time its ever happened to her and just wondering if theres any cause for concern as she got it after only two weeks! also i asked if it was just a dot and she said no it was a fair bit more than a dot, she also had period pains leading up to yesterday, thanks in advance, Effect.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Effect
Neophyte
Member # 101002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Effect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also just forgot to mention that she is 16 if that makes a difference.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given that it sounds like her cycles are still pretty darn variable, I see no cause for concern about this period.

Has she yet started getting any kind of reproductive/sexual healthcare? If not, even an educational visit with an OB/GYN could be a great thing if she has concerns like this.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68212 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Effect
Neophyte
Member # 101002

No she hasnt, i know she wouldnt like that and her mam wouldnt approve, thing is she seems really moody this time round and i was wondering if there was anything i can do. well this is her first ever early one really, so that worried me, just wondering, could this be a sign of pregnancy? cause 2 weeks seems really really early to me, and what ive looked up leads me to believe its a possible pregnancy even tho we had a small risk, it was just my finger grazing the top of her vagina for a second, maybe with some precum but i dunno that for sure.just wondering if it could be a sign or if were safe?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In terms of concerns about pregnancy, how about you review this first, which can fill you in on why what you're describing isn't something that could create a pregnancy: Pregnancy Scared?

There's really nothing someone else can do about mood changes with periods when they happen. When that happens, it's something hormonal happening in the body. The best you can do is just chill and roll with it, and the best she can do is just take care of herself in basic ways during and around her periods -- plenty of rest, managing stress, eating well, getting some exercise, etc.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68212 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Effect
Neophyte
Member # 101002

Ok thanks a million Heather, i was fairly sure there wasnt much risk, but ill relax more now! ok, ive been talking to her all day but she doesnt want me to leave her alone for a while but i get kinda half responses or one word ones, this sometimes happens around her period but this is really bad, ill try to just make some jokes and cheer her up, Thanks a million Heather, that really helped so much!!!
Heather
Member # 3

Well, you also get to have limits with this.

After all, it's only a menstrual period, not a terminal illness, and a person with a period can do just fine taking care of themselves, and will not usually need someone there to hold their hand the whole time.

She also, of course, has the option of calling other friends for company.

So, it's not like you are obligated to hang out with someone all day just because they have their period.

[ 02-24-2013, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Destiny Bermudez
Neophyte
Member # 59009

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Destiny Bermudez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I haven't received my period in 10 months. I'm definitely not pregnant, I'm not sexually active, I don't have any stds etc and I'm on the pill. I sometimes have sharp pains in my "lady part". What could this mean?

--------------------
Thanks,
DMB

Posts: 3 | From: none :) | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Destiny Bermudez,

We ask that when people have questions, they create their own thread to talk about that question. You can do this by clicking the "post new topic" link at the top of any forum page. Thank you.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.