Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » 2 normal periods, can she still be pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 normal periods, can she still be pregnant?
jimrootjunior
Neophyte
Member # 104007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimrootjunior     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend and I had unprotected sex about 5 weeks ago and she has had 2 normal periods since then, but she is having symptoms of pregnancy like nausea, bloating, weird cravings, and tender breasts. Is there a high chance she could be pregnant even after 2 periods?
Posts: 8 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there, jimrootjunior, and welcome to the boards. [Smile]

We ask that before users post about pregnancy risk assessment, that they do a little legwork first, by at least going through this thread and the information and links in it which will allow most people, most of the time, to figure this out themselves.

It's right at the top of the forum where you posted this, here: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/027495.html

If, when you're done going through that, you feel like anything was unclear, let us know, and we'd be happy to help make it more clear for you. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimrootjunior
Neophyte
Member # 104007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimrootjunior     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Heather, I checked out the links and I'm still a little unsure about the whole period issue, like I've heard contradicting statements from various people as to whether or not a woman can have a normal period and still be pregnant
Posts: 8 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, but what you've read here doesn't support that.

What you read also let you in on the fact that if either of you still feel worried about a pregnancy despite normal periods -- which, as you know from here, means a pregnancy isn't at all likely -- then the next step to take is a pregnancy test.

Has she done that yet, or is it something the two of you have discussed?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimrootjunior
Neophyte
Member # 104007

I've asked her if she wants to get one but she says she's too nervous about the outcome, which I am too...we're just both really stressed and don't really know how to handle the situation
Heather
Member # 3

Well, here's the deal: taking a test won't change the situation. In other words, if she's not pregnant, a test won't make her pregnant. If she is pregnant, NOT testing won't make her un-pregnant. It'd just really limit her choices with a pregnancy, as well as make her health more at risk if she was.

Clearly, not taking a test isn't making either of you any less fearful. And you obviously want an answer, because here you are.

So, how about the two of you just be there for each other in this, know that in the highly unlikely event she were pregnant, you've found a resource in us where we could help both of you through any part of that if you wanted, and take that test so you can actually get an answer? You can do it together, and all you'll have to get through is around three minutes of nervous waiting, and then you'll have your answer, a likely negative result which will make you both feel better instantly.

Alas, besides telling you it isn't at all likely with two normal periods, we can't tell you an absolute yes or no. Only a pregnancy test can do that.

[ 02-22-2013, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

jimrootjunior
Neophyte
Member # 104007

Thank you so much for your advice, I'll try to convince her to take a test to put our minds at ease
Heather
Member # 3

Sure thing. And you know where to find us -- heck, even if you two just need support during those three, waity minutes -- if when or after it's been taken, you need anything.

Just FYI, though, since this is about her body, how about rather than trying to convince her to test, you just ask her to? Really, all you should have to say is that you'd like if if she did, since you're both panicking and not having an answer you can see obviously isn't working. And you can make clear you'll be her support, and help find her extra if needed, throughout. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

jimrootjunior
Neophyte
Member # 104007

I sure will [Smile] I'm really glad I found your website. It's good to know there's a place I can come for support and advice. Thank you again [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Absolutely, and you're welcome. Just let us know how it goes and if you need anything more.

Once you're past this crisis, we can also talk with you about contraception -- so you're not in this spot again -- or figuring out how to make sexual choices that leave you feeling better, if you like. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.