Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Totally missed pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Totally missed pill
SailorTsukino
Activist
Member # 39072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SailorTsukino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im more than half way through my pack and looked at my pills today that said they had been taken up to Thursday, Fridays pill was still there and today is Saturday, I could have sworn I took my pill last night... I think I might've missed one in the evenings before, I know it was fine on Monday because I remember taking Mondays pill on Monday night
I didn't have sex last night but I did in the two evenings before, what should I do now? I am taking microtonal 30 and have now taken 2 pills today; the one I missed and tonight's pill, I plan to use additional contraception for 7 days, do I need to take EC or a certain number of my pills to equal EC?

Posts: 54 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know you have backed up with condoms in the past: have you still been doing that?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SailorTsukino
Activist
Member # 39072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SailorTsukino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, not during this time as I thought I'd been taking my pills correctly
Posts: 54 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, just checking.

So, you made up that missed pill today, right?

I would advise backing up for a week after missing a pill, however I personally don't see a need for EC, since your pill, even in typical use -- which includes a missed pill now and then -- is more effective than EC at this point.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SailorTsukino
Activist
Member # 39072

I made up for a missed pill today yes but not actually sure when in the last three evenings I missed that pill, I was almost certain I took a pill last night, but seem to be one pill behind, but I know for sure I was on track on Monday, I have take. Two pills tonight as soon as I realised I had missed any,
I know this reads very confusing, sorry! I haven't got a way with words

Heather
Member # 3

So, you missed more than one pill? Or am I misunderstanding?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

SailorTsukino
Activist
Member # 39072

I have only missed one pill

I know for a fact I was taking Mondays pill on Monday night

Sometimes I dont look at the days properly when I'm taking my pills I just take 'the next one in the pack'

So tonight when I looked at the packet I was one pull begin which means I must have missed one on either Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday but took all the others

Another possibility is that I took the next pill from the wrong side of the packet.... And may not have missed any

So I think I've missed one, but I'm not sure which night I missed it, I have taken the pill marked Friday tonight, but what is my next step?

Heather
Member # 3

Doesn't sound like there is one, if you made up a pill.

Sounds like you just back up for the next week. And then, maybe, find a way of taking your pill that works better for you?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

SailorTsukino
Activist
Member # 39072

So it doesn't matter if I missed Wednesday for example, didn't realise and took Thursday as normal, Friday as normal and made the missed pill up along with my pill tonight?

I have made an appointment to see about getting the IUD or implant

Heather
Member # 3

Ideally, we want to make up a pill as soon as possible. And, as I understand it, that's what you did as soon as you realized it was missed.

And that's all you can do, at this point, unless you've got the ability to travel back in time. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

SailorTsukino
Activist
Member # 39072

Would you say that based on the info above I should try to seek an emergency IUD or would you say my protection is still alright, will they actually give me an IUD if this count as a risk?
Heather
Member # 3

I would say that strikes me as extreme, particularly given the cost of IUD insertions, and, if this isn't about you wanting to switch to an IUD, also the cost of taking it OUT, and all doing both involve per time and discomfort.

Really, one missed pill, when made up, should still leave a person very highly protected from pregnancy. Typical use effectiveness rates -- which is probably what you've had all along, even without this missed pill -- take a missed pill or two in a year into account.

That all said, if you want to talk with a sexual healthcare provider about all of this, and can get it to see one ASAP, when any EC would be likely to still be effective, by all means, do that. or even just call into a clinic and ask so you can have a second opinion, if you like.

But it does sound like, moving forward, you might feel a whole lot better switching back to still using condoms as a backup, okay?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

SailorTsukino
Activist
Member # 39072

Where I live I am covered for this under the health service if I wanted to have it fitted, so I probably will go this week and see about changing to an IUD anyway, what I mean is will they need to wait a few weeks following this risk before having it put in? I have been considering switching to long term contraception for a while so no time like the present anyway I guess?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, they shouldn't need to wait, but that's a question best presented to your healthcare provider. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.