Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Oral sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oral sex
Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teeny56943         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I've heard that oral sex can transmit HIV. And it can happen through open cuts in the mouth. I'm wondering what constitutes a cut that HIV could be transmitted through? Does it have to be one that's so fresh that it's bleeding? I ask because I have oral sex with a day or two old cut where I had slightly bitten the inside of my mouth but it wasn't bleeding anymore but there was still a little something there. Is this cause for concern? I do not know the person's HIV status.
Posts: 34 | From: New york | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

Also I had one more thing to ask that I forgot about (sorry I'm not bumping on purpose). Is it a good idea or a good thing to ask someone you're in relations with if they've been tested before? Or is that a bad idea? Thanks.
Posts: 34 | From: New york | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Teeny56943,

Generally when we're talking about cuts and transmission of any STI, we're talking about open cuts that can allow viruses or infections to enter the bloodstream..

HIV isn't the only STI that can be transmitted through oral sex, and some, such as herpes, are transmitted through skin-to-skin contact, not just fluids as with some other STIs, so there can still be a risk even without an open sore or cut.

Do you get screened for STIs regularly?

It's absolutely acceptable to discuss STIs with a potential sexual partner. If it feels awkward just to ask, it's sound (it's sonud anyway, even if it doesn't feel awkward) to share your own testing history. So, you could say something like "I was recently screened for STIs; have you been?"

It's also sound practice, no matter what someone tells you, to use condoms when you don't know someone's status/don't know them well enough to know if they're being truthful with you.

here's some more information on STI transmission risks:

STI Risk Assessment: The Cliff's Notes

We can talk more about this, if you'd like, and we can also talk about getting you some sexual healthcare if you don't already have it.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

I see. So what I described in my mouth, would that be a risk? It's easy to tell what an open cut is on your skin, but harder in your mouth to tell, so would what I described increase my risk for any STI transmission? And yes I have been tested before and plan to make it a yearly event.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you don't know, and I don't know, whether that cut is open or not, I really can't tell you whether your risk is increased or not, only that oral sex without a barrier presents risks of some STIs.

To be clear, barriers don't eliminate risk entirely, but they do reduce it significantly.

If you engage in sexual activities without safer sex practices, testing more frequently may be a sound choice for you.

Would you like to talk about negotiating safer sex with sexual partners?

[ 02-20-2013, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.