Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Protected?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Protected?
iwantcookies
Neophyte
Member # 103865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iwantcookies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, and thank you for your time. I have a question. I started my birth control pack 1 week before my period. I started my birth control pack on January 27th (Sunday). I should have gotten my period Feb 3rd. I started spotting about 4 days later (Thursday Jan 31st) spotting was nothing crazy heavy like a period or even a normal period. Just real light and bright red. The Spotting lasted a couple weeks. I started having unprotected sex Feb 9th. He came inside of me several times that whole week while I was into the 3rd week of pills in my pack. We have a long distance relationship (I was still spotting at the time we had unprotected sex)…I was wondering if I would be protected against pregnancy since I was on the pill a whole 2 weeks with no missed pills? I took it a week BEFORE my period was scheduled, and the pamphlet states I’m covered 7 days after taking the pill, but that’s for a Sunday start AFTER your period starts, or does it make a difference? Do you think I messed myself up or do you think I would be protected since I was on it a full 2 weeks prior to starting unprotected sex? Spotting stopped about 4 days ago.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you start the pill on day one of a period, or on a Sunday start -- on or before the first Sunday after a period starts -- then the pill will be effective within a week or less.

If starting at other times, it may take a full cycle, so using a backup method for all of that first cycle is always what is advised.

I very much hope whoever prescribed you the pill talked about this with you per choosing when to start.

So, unfortunately, it may well be that you haven't had the full effectiveness of your pill just yet, and jumped the gun going without a backup method.

Since at this point, it sounds like none of your risks have been within the last 120 hours, where you could consider emergency contraception, the best you can do now is wait this out.

Just FYI, too, we encourage users getting other methods of contraception to keep backing up with condoms regardless, since no other method offers STI protection, and those are just as big of a risk, especially if both you and your partner don't get regularly screened for STIs and don't have recent negative results from those screenings.

[ 02-19-2013, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iwantcookies
Neophyte
Member # 103865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iwantcookies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok! Thank you so much for that response. I have a follow up question. I don't know if this is going to be a stupid question but my last pill of this pack was Saturday. I should be scheduled to get my period tomorrow. If my period comes, does that mean I'm not pregnant or could I still possibly become pregnant if I end up getting my period since it was so close to this up coming period? The last day we had unprotected sex was this past Sunday, Feb 17.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're welcome: sorry that it probably wasn't the answer you were hoping for. [Frown]

If you get your withdrawal bleed, then you can know you're not pregnant.

However, just know that it's pretty typical for periods/withdrawal bleeds to be pretty wonky the first couple packs of the pill, and that's even more likely when you start it mid-cycle.

As well, there isn't any one day only withdrawal bleeds will come on the pill: for some users, they do start the first day of the placebos, while for others, they don't. It's more that sometime during that week is when a withdrawal bleed should arrive, not on any specific day.

So, if it doesn't come during the placebo week, it may not be because of pregnancy. But if it doesn't, because you may have had some high risks here, I'd suggest a pregnancy test, okay?

Mind, you could still use emergency contraception, if you wanted, for that risk on the 17th.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iwantcookies
Neophyte
Member # 103865

I took a pregnancy test just now and it came out negative but probably way too soon to tell. Would EC be ok to take even if the first time unprotected sex took place was 9 days prior to the last date of this past Sunday?
Heather
Member # 3

A pregnancy test is most likely to be accurate after you have missed a period: when a period is five or more days late than the latest you'd expect it.

If you take EC, it can't reduce the risk of pregnancy for any sex that happened BEFORE the last 120 hours, at the latest. In other words, it could only reduce your risk for sex that you engaged in in the last few days.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

iwantcookies
Neophyte
Member # 103865

[Smile] woke up this morning and I'm bleeding! On the heavier side too!! So this means no pregnancy right?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.