Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Question about periods and pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about periods and pregnancy
wakaranai
Neophyte
Member # 100211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wakaranai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! So I've read over the provided topics about pregnancy risks, and according to those, I don't have one. (I'd touched a slightly wet spot on my boyfriend's pants and then touched myself a bit later.) Still, I tend to worry pretty excessively, which was why I thought I'd ask for a bit of clarification. My period actually came today, but it was only five days after the incident, and so I was wondering whether or not that still serves as an accurate indication that I'm not pregnant. Implantation doesn't occur immediately, right? I know it's unlikely that an egg would be released so soon before my period, but is there still the possibility? Could I have ovulated during that time and still gotten my period because my body doesn't yet know it's pregnant, or do periods cease immediately during pregnancy?
Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi wakaranai and welcome to Scarleteen,

Menstruation and pregnancy are two mutually exclusive processes. So, if your body did release an egg shortly before your period (and you're right, that doesn't usually happen, but it can, so...), and the egg wasn't fertilized, you'd go ahead and get your period, no pregnancy involved. If an egg was already fertilized, you wouldn't ovulate again. In other words, one cannot be pregnant and have the menstrual cycle continue. Believe me, the body knows. [Smile]

Did you see this article?

Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

If not, take a look. I think it might help make the processes clearer for you.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wakaranai
Neophyte
Member # 100211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wakaranai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So in other words, even if implantation had not yet occurred, getting my period means the egg wasn't fertilized, right? Part of the reason why I asked was the last question on the bottom of this page.
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/what_do_you_want_to_know_about_periods_and_sex

I wasn't entirely sure whether the response meant that periods stop after fertilization, or that it's merely unlikely that a risk would occur given the timing.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've got it right with the second part: it's merely unlikely that a risk would occur given the timing.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wakaranai
Neophyte
Member # 100211

Oh, okay. I also seem to remember reading somewhere that, aside from it being unusual to release an egg shortly before the start of one's period, that one's period would make it difficult for implantation to occur, as the lining would have been shed, and there would thus be nowhere for it to attach to.

That being said, I suppose I don't actually have a risk from this anyway, seeing as there was only indirect contact with pre-ejaculate.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, on the whole, most people will only ovulate once in a cycle. And, we will only get periods if and when a) we ovulated earlier in the cycle, and then b) did not become pregnant.

But you're right: indirect contact like this isn't at all likely to pose pregnancy risks in the first place.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.