Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » BC, Oral, & Discharge

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BC, Oral, & Discharge
justagirl1219
Neophyte
Member # 97563

Icon 11 posted      Profile for justagirl1219     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone!

Soooo, I have a few things to say and a few things I need answers to. First off my main concern is my vaginal discharge. I started my BC pill again a month and a half ago (I'm in the middle of the second pack), for the first month, I spotted for two weeks with a brownish discharge after my period. Now, that spotting ended mind you, and the dried up discharge is very yellow. I read normal discharge can dry yellow, but should this be a concern? My mom told me it's "probably the birth control" but she doesn't know the whole story.

My boyfriend has given me oral a few times-- no protection. Mind you, I have never had sexual intercourse with anyone, and he did well over two years ago. He doesn't remember if he wore a condom with this girl, and let's just say she was around town with more than a few guys before him. OH, & He has never gone down on another girl before, so I don't know if that could possibly lessen the chance of getting a STD? And for most STD's, I'm under the impression since he has all "outdoor plumbing" most of those potential STDS other than like HIV, and what not would have made an appearance somehow.

So I guess what I'm asking is....

1)Is it normal for discharge to dry yellow? I haven't seen it while its still wet. My research said that if it secretes whitish/clearish but DRIES yellow its normal. I don't smell it, unless my nose is close by my panties, and it doesn't smell foul and its not strong. I don't really know how to explain it. Also, it stings when I get fingered but not unbearably. It's always been that way though, even before I started partaking in sexual activities. It stung even when I wore tampons if it wasn't like "wet" enough to get it in before hand. I don't really have any other symptoms for a yeast infection, or what not.

2)Since my boyfriend has never gone down on another girl before, does that lessen my risk of contracting an STD he may potentially have?

3) And after these 2 years, would he have noticed any signs of having an STD? (I know we should get him tested but the costs for our local planned parenthood are high, and neither of us can afford it).

4)Finally, if something happens to be wrong with me, how do I go about telling my mom that I need to see a doctor? My mom & I have usually a very open relationship, but when it comes to sexual stuff it gets really awkward and uncomfortable. I feel ready for this, even when she doesn't, and then it makes me feel bad, like she's disappointed in me. She's aware that my boyfriend and I have done stuff, but she doesn't want to know what kind of stuff.

Will someone please answer me, I'm a hypochondriac to the max. Thank you so much!

Posts: 25 | From: -- | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a handy guide on how to decide whether discharge is perfectly healthy or possibly a sign of an infection: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

As for STIs, since your partner has been sexually active before, there is a risk that he may have an STI. There is no way for us to put any numbers on that as to how high the risk it, but the only way to rule it out completely is to take an STI test. And really, regular STI testing should be a regular part of the reproductive health care once you start being sexually active.

Have you called the Planned Parenthood in your town and asked whether they maybe charge on a sliding scale? Many PPs do. There may also be other clinics in your area that charge on a sliding scale.

And lastly, since you are sexually active, you will want to start looking into having regular reproductive health care. You don't need to talk to your mother about your fear of STIs - just let her know that it is time for you to start your check-ups. You should have one at least once a year regardless of whether you suspect something may be wrong.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9186 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justagirl1219
Neophyte
Member # 97563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justagirl1219     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well there's no foul, strong smell. It's not curdy or chunky. Its just yellow.

I thought STI's couldn't be transferred via saliva to vaginal fluids unless he had gotten one in his throat, per se, giving unprotected oral to another girl and then getting an STI that affected his throat and mouth. So I thought I'd be fine, considering there wouldn't be an STI in his mouth because he had never given oral to another girl before.

I did call Planned Parenthood and according the the operator I spoke with she told me they didn't have sufficient funds to reduce the cost of an STI test right now, and that depending on what needs to get tested it can be anywhere from $60-300+. And HIV test alone is $60. I cannot afford that on my own right now, and would rather now get my parents involved in said affairs.

Or should I come clean and suggest I need a check up now to her (mom)? I did tell her I thought something might have been wrong due the the yellow discharge and she asked me a series of question. According to her, I seem pretty normal.

Also, does birth control play any role in this?

Posts: 25 | From: -- | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the ways hormonal BC works is by thickening cervical mucus, so that could be part of what's going on with your discharge.

Since your partner has never had oral sex with anyone else, it's unlikely that he has an STI that could be transmitted to you that way, but without testing, there's really no way to know. (Getting a vaginal infection that is NOT an STI is also possible - another reason to get gyn exams regularly.)

I second what Joey has said about talking to your mum about starting your gyn checkups. Getting a gyn exam isn't just something that needs to be done if you think there's something wrong: it's preventative healthcare, kind of like going to the dentist to get your teeth cleaned on a regular basis even if you don't think you have any cavities.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5761 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.