Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » generic pill vs. name-brand

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: generic pill vs. name-brand
pamplemousse
Neophyte
Member # 96224

Icon 5 posted      Profile for pamplemousse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!

Just a quick question: I was reading this article

Her Story: I Had An Abortion in College

and the author talks about how she got pregnant while on the pill:

quote:
One of the biggest questions that plagued both Chris and me was how this had happened. I have been on birth control pills since shortly after starting my period at age 15. I would have menstrual pain so bad that I have a prescription for muscle relaxers. I would not be able to get out of bed on rough days during my flow. So I went on birth control at a young age to regulate those issues. But, somehow, I got pregnant. According to my gynecologist, when my family’s insurance starting only covering the generic brand of pills, my hormones fluctuated too much. Generic medication, for some women, doesn’t work. He informed me that I wasn’t the first he’d seen get pregnant while on a generic. Since then I demand, and pay extra, for name brand pills.
A few questions:

Does this seem like a legitimate medical explanation? What, if anything, would be the actual chemical difference in a generic pill vs. a name-brand that would cause a disparity? I'm on the generic Tri-Sprintec, which I take perfectly, and I also back up with condoms, but this worried me a little nonetheless. Thanks!

Posts: 25 | From: Florida/Indiana | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People become pregnant on EVERY brand of pill.

To make that clear, in typical use of the pill, 8 of every 100 people who use it become pregnant in one year. In perfect use, around 1 of every 2000 who us it do.

This likely wasn't about this person using a generic, which are just as effective as the brand-name. It was likely just about the pill failing, which it does sometimes.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamplemousse
Neophyte
Member # 96224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamplemousse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gotcha - thank you! I know there's always a risk, but I'm very careful about taking it and this is the first I've heard that implied any actual chemical difference between generics and brand-names. So what exactly is the difference in formulation between them? Thanks so much for your quick response!
Posts: 25 | From: Florida/Indiana | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't one.

A generic of a given brand is the same formulation as that brand. It has to be.

Here's some good explanation of that for you: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=whats-the-difference-betw-2004-12-13

I'm sorry to hear someone's doctor implied any different, since they should know better, and even more sorry to hear someone then published that misinformation.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.