Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Need some information..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need some information..
sparkledust12
Activist
Member # 103217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkledust12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya,

I was wondering if you could give me some information on the HCG hormone. What I want to know is if it is AT ALL possible, even if it's like a 1 in a billion chance, that a woman could proceed with pregnancy with an undetectable level or extremely low level, say less than 3 of HCG hormone. That's the hormone that confirms you are pregnant correct?

I had a risk a few months ago, and have done numerous tests, and had a blood test done, I've had all my withdrawal bleeds (currently have one now) so I know that should be enough confirmation.

I just wanted to know the chances? I'm feeling I need a bit more education on the topic, but that's my main concern/fear, if it is possible to carry a pregnancy without the hormone being picked up on a test you know, even 4/5 months into it.

It sounds pretty impossible, but I wanted to know from some experts.

Thanks in advance [Smile]

Posts: 47 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the hormone pregnancy tests read for, but it's more than that.

It's a hormone produced during pregnancy, and it's what maintains the uterine lining so a pregnancy can develop. In other words, what keeps that lining from shedding in reaction to the other hormonal systems in your body that don't stop just because a person is pregnant.

So, no: we're not going to see a pregnancy be able to develop without that hormone existing and increasing. And a pregnancy isn't going to get to 4 or 5 months without that hormone and levels of it having risen throughout.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkledust12
Activist
Member # 103217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkledust12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great, thank you for explaining it too me, I just figured it was there to say you are pregnant. So speaking personally for me, there's little chance I could actually be pregnant and not have had it confirmed by now, due to all the tests and my bleeds.

I think I feel a little better now having read this.

Posts: 47 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No way at 4 or 5 months of pregnancy, if you are taking the tests correctly, could you be pregnant and be getting negative results on those tests.

More to the point, people at 4 or 5 months don't just feel all hunky-dory and magically live without all the symptoms and side effects typical to a pregnancy at that stage.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkledust12
Activist
Member # 103217

As far as I know I have taken the tests correctly, and I've taken a fair few, as well as getting them done at the doctors office, AND a blood test as well. So it's all looking pretty unlikely, based on what you've told me!
Which is good [Big Grin]

Can I just ask what kind of symptoms you'd have at that stage? More out of curiosity, as I thought most presented themselves during the first 3 months or so.

Thank you again.

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's really going to depend on the person, but by that point, almost all people would see their bodies change in noticeable ways. That is: they wouldn't be feeling the same, or, for the most part, looking the same, as they did four or five months previously.

If you've done several tests, as well as having tests at the doctor's office, you can be more than confident at this point that those tests are correct.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkledust12
Activist
Member # 103217

Thank you so much [Big Grin]

I feel relieved, I just wanted to know as much as possible, I like to learn and I think it will help me move past this.

My mind was putting together things like, 'you have put on some weight' and 'you have felt strange twitches and things you've never felt before', but I'm guessing that's all due to stress of the situation.

But you have presented me with the facts, about the hormone that is basically vital for a pregnancy to proceed. Put together with my negative tests and withdrawal bleeds every month since. There should be no chance of undetected pregnancy here.

Yeah I'm feeling better, and a little silly!

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, I'm glad you're feeling better. [Smile]

Is there anything else you need education-wise? Would you like to talk about birth control options? Are you generally feeling comfortable with the sexual activity you've been engaging in and the risks that may or may not pose?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkledust12
Activist
Member # 103217

Me too [Smile]

I just needed some extra clarification as to what I have been experiencing is merely all in my head and the facts, make what I thought could be possible, not possible.

Usually I am fine with everything, I'm good at taking my pill and don't engage in sex often as I had a long term relationship. Unfortunately we split up shortly after the episode that I considered risky.
Basically I missed the last pill of my pack. Had sex on the last day of my withdrawal bleed and began my pack again the next day as I should have. So I didn't back up the pill or anything. We used a condom, but I worried about failure, not sure whether it did or not. So I took EC at 12 hours after the sex took place. Just to make me feel better. I like to do things properly and I was very mad at myself for making such a silly mistake.
I guess because I was dealing with it on my own, which made me realise how un-ready I was for anything pregnancy wise to happen.

For example I am starting university in September, I've got trips planned, a lot too look forward too. These last few months I've generally coped okay. Just every now and then a 'what if the tests are wrong' pops up, so I thought I'd come here for some factual information and advice.

Since then I have not had any sex, again just not to complicate the matter incase I was infact pregnant, and had not realised until later on.
But the fact that there has to be a significant amount of the hormone present throughout does make me feel better.

So thank you for explaining it too me.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Glad you're feeling more settled. WE're always here if you have more questions or need to talk something through.

--------------------
Robin

sparkledust12
Activist
Member # 103217

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

As long as it the hcg business means there's no way i could be 4.5 months ish pregnant, then I can start to rest easy [Smile]

sparkledust12
Activist
Member # 103217

I hope you don't mind me asking another question, but when a doctor or nurse palpates your belly in an external examination to verify pregnancy, what exactly are they looking for? It wasn't explained to me properly, he just kind of went nope, nothing to feel your not pregnant and sent me on my merry way.
Just something that popped into my head.

[Smile]

Alexalex
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 100767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually when they're palpating your belly they're looking for things like cysts or unusual lumps/swelling/stiffness/etc, which could indicate all sorts of things. It doesn't seem like it'd be a very conclusive pregnancy test normally, but since you would've been 4.5 months along, I'm sure they can probably feel some growth by then!
Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.