Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Am I over reacting?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I over reacting?
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really want to go back to this again... but am I over reacting? I know I need to get on Birth Control, I know this. I am seeing my family doctor in two weeks regarding my sleep and I should ask about the patch again and if she has samples, or I may go to the Sexual Health Clinic next week in the evening. I get I've been saying this and never follow up, I literally need to buckle down and get my stuff together. I have the script on file at the drug store... just my boss screwed my hours for a month cause he got pissed at me.

Sunday morning I woke up to my period. Great. It had stopped completely in the evening. Monday the next day, it spotted on and off, basically nothing. The first day, for an hour it felt like I was peeing my pants.

Anyways, this is a crazy question, can someone my age, 19, develop Menopause. I get "hot" flashes where I believe I am running a fever, dripping sweat and basically inside and out boiling.

Another thing, it was watery like... pink, like it was watered down...

What can cause menstrual periods to do this?

Also, while on it... it had a horrific odor... like bad blood sitting for days... then I had yellow discharge and it's gone now. Also, that pink stuff also shows up when I wipe to clean the vaginal discharge.

Do I have an STI?

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexalex
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 100767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you've been on and off birth control, your hormones might be out of whack which can definitely cause things like hot flashes, night sweats, etc. It can also cause some period weirdness and spotting. It's pretty darn rare for people to experience actual menopause that young, though. Like, crazy-rare. When menopause happens prematurely it's more often around age 40- I really wouldn't worry about that.

Regardless, when you go to the doctor or the clinic, talk to them about these things and they can check you out, make sure you don't have an STI or vaginal infection, and possibly check on your hormone levels if they think it's necessary.

If the bad odor and discharge only happened with your period and isn't still around, it's probably not an infection- probably just part of whatever wonkiness is happening with your period. But it's an easy thing for the doctors to check :-)

[ 02-14-2013, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Alexalex ]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alergnon, I think you know from a previous discussion that we're setting some limits on this kind of conversation with you, based on our guidelines that address how we will do that with users who repeatedly come with scares but also won't take the advice we've given them about doing things to reduce their risks or stop winding up in spots like this.

We simply have to work to manage our time and energy, one one part of doing that is not being a broken record, particularly if and when it becomes clear what we're saying isn't something a user is actually using or doing anything about themselves.

So, here's what I've got for you: you know, from many of these conversations, that you have a history of not practicing safer sex, and that that means you have been taking big risks of STIs. You know you have been engaging in sex which you know, from education here, means you, like anyone else, is at risk of them, and without safer sex, at a much higher risk.

You get to make those choices, obviously, but that means that yes, you likely will deal with infections more than others. And if, besides being regularly tested for STIs, you ever find you get possible infection symptoms like fevers, watery, smelly or otherwise-funky discharges, then you know you need to follow that up with sexual healthcare to find out what's up.

No, this is not likely menopause. I suggest, per usual, you get to your sexual health clinic ASAP about this, and then, as usual, suggest that you make choices with them about birth control methods AND safer sex, and commit to using both from here on out to safeguard your health and also to end a pattern of panics about this.

Okay?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68261 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alergnon
Activist
Member # 93204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alergnon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have called the clinic and they are opened tomorrow morning into the early afternoon, which works for me considering it wont interfere with my sleep for my overnight shifts.

I will bring up these things with them and my concerns.

Posts: 517 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear it. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68261 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.