Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Sorry again!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sorry again!
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairbaire123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It keeps saying I'm not logged in when I rely so I'll try to post all my questions in this one post so I don't keep posting new ones!

I understand what you're saying. I'm not ultimately worried but since I'm a new pill user I wanna know how to properly take my pill. I've been tested for STIs and so has my partner and we've been in a monogamous relationship for a long time and I want to be able to count on the effectiveness of my pill alone as it is the reason I went on the pill.

There's a lot of women I know that are on the pill and hormonal birth control that drink teas and Im assuming that that wouldn't be the case if drinking herbal teas is a problem? Hence the lack of studies done?

Posts: 119 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very strange, and shouldn't be happening: mind telling me how you're accessing the site? (Web or phone, what browser, etc.)

The pill is a medication used all over the world, including by people who do things like drink or eat certain plants or herbs every day. The effectiveness rates we have for the pill are global, so ultimately, we can know that built into that are a range of diets.

As well, the pill is a medication that makes the companies which make it a LOT of money, and they are invested in its effectiveness, if for no other reason, so people keep buying it. So yes, they study possible interactions carefully.

So, really, here's the drill: 92% effective in typical use, 99% in perfect use, which I usually explain to people means, if you take it as well as you can (while also not being in a clinical study) you're usually looking at around 95% effectiveness in one year of use. That maybe-5% window there just isn't anything you can account for, you just have to figure if you're okay with that rate. If so, then if you just follow the directions in your patient insert, your pill will be as effective as it can be for people.

If you're not okay with that maybe-5% failure rate, then you want to back it up.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairbaire123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was on my iphone 4, using safari!

I see I totally get what you're trying to say. Different people have different diets so the people who make the pill would want to make sure they really study possible interactions. And if there isnt any data to suggest the need to worry about teas and pills, that probably because there isnt any need to.

So basically if we take the pill according to the leaflet given and take precautions when taking other medications that could possibly interact, the pill is very effectie at preventing pregnancy?

Posts: 119 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That makes a little more sense: sometimes phones don't play well with the boards. Check Safari per your cookies, though: if it's not saving the boards into the cache, that's why it might not be saving your login.

Yep, you've got it.

In case effective rates aren't clear, 92% in typical use means that of every 100 people using it typically (which, in a year, includes things like a late pill now and then), only 8 become pregnant. That 99+% in perfect means only 1 of every 100 pill users (though it's over 99%, so really is more like 2 in even 1000) in one year does.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairbaire123
Activist
Member # 103175

Sorry, which does the "yep, you've got it." refer to? The teas/pills or the pill being effective?

Yeah it works a lot better now that Im on the laptop [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

It = all of it. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.