Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Antibiotics and the pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Antibiotics and the pill
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver987         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scarleteen,
So yesterday I ended up getting my wisdom teeth out and received some pain killers (which to my knowledge won't affect the pill).

I also received the pills methyprednisolone which they told me would reduce infection and is an antibiotic. I had to write down any medications I take, buy I'm not sure if they take that into consideration when they give me the antibiotics. I tried to call my pharmacy early this morning and last night, but they were closed for some reason all day today. I was wondering if that antibiotic would affect my birth control (Microgestin 1/20).

Also, if it ends up affecting it, would activities that I did last Monday and the week before be at risk if I HAVE to start taking my antibiotics today (I know sperm can live inside the body for a while). Or because I've been taking my pills everyday at 10pm consistently, would it not be a problem if from now I hold off on sexual activities (no vaginal sex ever, but the pill REALLY eases mugs mind and I don't worry ever with other things).

Thanks so much for your help!

Posts: 155 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason they ask you what medications you take is so they can make sound decisions on what to give you.

When calling a pharmacist for information, it doesn't have to be your pharmacist. Any pharmacist will be able to give you information on drug interactions.

The sexual activity you engaged in previously, even if it had been intercourse or anything else that does pose a pregnancy risk, isn't a factor here.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Perfect. So anything from now on would just count. Thanks SO much!!

Is there a pharmacist hotline or something I would be able to call that wold double check with me that it doesn't interfere?

Posts: 155 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

So I just called my pharmacist and the antibiotic amoxicillin that they gave me for infections does affect the pill. She said none of my past encounters would affect it (just encounters from now on). I have two weeks left in my pack, so am I supposed to just refrain from everything until I start my new one?

Also, if my last encounter was Monday and sperm can remain in the body for up to 5 days, wouldn't that still put me at a risk today? I was just confused on how that works.

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Birth control pills work with three different mechanisms, including changing the vaginal environment so it is more hostile to sperm.

I don't know that we have data on differences in sperm cell survival inside the vagina for those using hormonal methods vs. those who don't, but it's safe to say sperm calls can likely survive for fewer days.

But that's really not so relevant, because the point is your pill was working WHILE you engaged in that sex, and antibiotics can't make it retroactively less effective.

Just, while you are taking the antibiotics, if you engage in sex, back up with a condom.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Will do. Buy for everything else that happened before, I was safe.
Thanks SO much! That really helped put my mind aye ease.

beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

One quick question.
How much have antibiotics been known to decrease the effectiveness of birth control by?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far as I know, there really isn't one easy anssewr to this. In many cases, all that is known is that the antibiotic (or other medication) interacts with the pill, but it's not known if the interaction decreases contraceptive effectiveness.

We're talking about a large number of medications, plus different brands of the pill, so it really isn't possible for there to be a one-size-fits-all answer.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

I figured that was the case. While knowing the pill was working I was able to participate in manuel sex and oral without worrying of transfers of sperm (it keeps my mind at ease). However, I am now a wreck. My boyfriend was fingering me while I was giving him a blowjob and I get worried about the transfer (3 days before I went on antibiotics). I looked at the MD website and the doc said since sperm can live in your body for 5 days, prgnancy could still occur. It is exactly two weeks to this day and I want to take an absolutely reasurring pregnancy test. Should I give it a couple more days? Or would it absolutely tell me the most correct result now? Thanks for your help. Im on the pill, but I dont get my wiyhdrawal bleed at all.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

That's really up to you. As you already know, a test can be considered accurate 14 or more days after a suspected risk. When you take the test is your decision.

--------------------
Robin

beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Ive been looking at other websites and many of them say 19 days? But you said I can absolutely trust the result after 14?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

What we know is that 14 days is the soonest one can take a test, though since none of this is exact (each body will do something slightly different) waiting a few more days, or retesting after a few more days, is advisable for people who have had a pregnancy risk.

We also know, and you know, that you didn't hav a bonafide pregnancy risk, and that taking this test is for your peace of mind. [Smile] So really, you can take it whenever you feel, based on the information you have, it's soundest to take it.

--------------------
Robin

beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Thanks again for your help. I think I got my withdrawal bleed today. It wasn't super heavy but filled a tampon and a half fo today. I was wondering, because my boyfriend and I fooled around with manuel and oral sex yesterday and my vagina lips got SUPER puffy, if it could have just been bleeding from that? Or does this sound like my withdrawal bleed. If it is, I'm just relieved knowing the antibiotics didnt affect it much. A couple questions:

1. When will my pill be back to its full effectiveness? Will it the day I start my new pack? (I ended my antibiotics about a week ago)

2. What is causing my vagina lips to puff up so much after (rougher) manuel sex? How can I prevent it? They seem to puff up after the rougher encounters.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Yes, once you start a new pack whatever happened during the previous pack doesn't affect anything.

It sounds like your labia are reacting to the friction of manual sex. That might be your body's way of saying: Hey, this is too rough! You could try using a lubricant during that sexual activity, which will reduce the friction.

--------------------
Robin

beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Great! Thanks for your help! [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.