Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period
HelloLove994
Neophyte
Member # 95513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HelloLove994     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I have a few questions that I can't find an answer to. Can losing your virginity effect your period? (besides by getting pregnant ... like make it late because of the shock of having sex?) The reason I ask is because I'm somewhere around 3-5 days late and I've lost my virginity since my last period. When we had sex, my boyfriend wore a condom and pulled out. I took a test yesterday and it was negative.

Thanks!

Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The body isn't "shocked" by engaging in sex, and a reproductive cycle is something that happens because of a pattern of hormonal changes over weeks. Unless pregnancy occurs because of sex, an incident of sex -- be it a first time or any other -- doesn't change the menstrual cycle.

On the other hand, stress, and likely more to the point, the way stress impacts our behaviours like sleep and eating, can impact a menstrual cycle, and some people certainly experience stress around sex for various reasons.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HelloLove994
Neophyte
Member # 95513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HelloLove994     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm 18 and I've had my period since I was in 5th grade. They are usually around 4-5 weeks apart but fluctuate and sometimes even add a few days on to that. I went almost 9 weeks in August and September without one (I believe from the stress of losing a grandparent, starting work, and a huge school project). Anyways, I had sex exactly a week from the day my last period started and I don't think I had ovulated yet. I've been kind of keeping my eye on my cervix and cervical mucus ever since I took a family relations class in school and learned the common differences throughout the menstrual cycle so I kind of have an idea of when I ovulate.
Like I said, he used a condom and the "pull out method." (which I'm aware isn't really a "method" of birth control) And I took a test 2 days after I believe my period was due and it was negative. Do you have any advice for me?

Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Withdrawal is a method of contraception. In perfect use, it's estimated to be around 96% effective. The problem with withdrawal is that it's typical use rate is as low as 73%, making it one of the two least effective methods in typical use.

But, if a condom was used properly, and didn't slip off, break or tear, then as it stands, we can know there wasn't a pregnancy possibility. If withdrawal was also used perfectly, you should be able to rest assured there wasn't even more, and that negative result on your pregnancy test tells you you aren't pregnant.

So, all that's left to do now is just hang on until your period comes, and perhaps, if you find yourself feeling like those two methods aren't a pair you feel secure with, think about using two methods which are more reliable in both perfect and typical use, or perhaps elect not to have intercourse again until you feel more comfortable with the risks it can pose?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HelloLove994
Neophyte
Member # 95513

Thanks Heather! I am so glad this site exists .. you all are so helpful. I have decided to wait to have intercourse again until I am at least out of high school and then plan on getting on some type of birth control. Thanks again!
Heather
Member # 3

Happy to help!

You good with having that conversation with your partner if you need to? Some people express that they feel like they don't know how to do that, so just want to check. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

HelloLove994
Neophyte
Member # 95513

He already knows my decision and is completely supportive of it! [Smile] Thank you!!!
Heather
Member # 3

Rock on! [Big Grin]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

HelloLove994
Neophyte
Member # 95513

I just thought of something else ..

After my first time I noticed a red tint to my cervical mucus which I knew was from intercourse. About 2-3 weeks or so later I noticed this again (after being fingered). I know I am being paranoid since I got a negative test but this couldn't be implantation bleeding could it?

Sometimes I think I know too much about this for my own good and freak myself out. [Frown]

Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. If you got a negative pregnancy test result, that's all you need to be able to know that you are not pregnant and thus what you are describing wasn't implantation bleeding. Really, no matter what symptom or any other proof you feel you may have found that you are pregnant, the fact that you got a negative result on a pregnancy test negates all that.

I also think it might help you out to read this:
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/28/t/007275.html

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HelloLove994
Neophyte
Member # 95513

Hi again,

Today is three weeks past my missed period. I ended up taking a total of 3 tests within the week after my missed period and they were all negative. I realized yesterday that since my last period I started to work out and probably might have overdone it a couple times. I have read that this may throw your cycle off? I didn't know if I should I see a doctor to see if there are any other problems or continue to wait it out?

Thanks!

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey There HelloLove994,

Looking back through your thread, it looks like you've had a few other times when there has been a long space between periods, so this pattern isn't uncommon for you.

As I understand it, one or two intense workouts probably won't impact hormones enough to alter a cycle, but certainly starting and maintaining a routine of intense exercise can, for some people, have an impact.

If you are concerned, you can by all means see a doctor. As I said though, this doesn't sound like an uncommon occurrence for your body. Know too that doctors tend to not worry about missing periods unless they've been missed for several months at a time or there are other symmptoms that raise concern.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HelloLove994
Neophyte
Member # 95513

Thanks Robin!
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're most welcome! [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HelloLove994
Neophyte
Member # 95513

I've heard it is recommended to wait at least a week after your missed period to take a test for the best results. I took one 2 days after and then probably 5 days after and then exactly a week after. Like I said, all were negative. Now today, 3 weeks after my missed period, do you think it would be worth my time to take another test?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

It sounds like you're not feeling confident of the results you got before. Am I understanding that correctly?

If so, what has you feeling unsure?

--------------------
Robin

HelloLove994
Neophyte
Member # 95513

I'm not sure to be honest. I guess the fact that it's still not here is making me question the results. I mean, we used a condom and the withdrawl method, so I know the chances are very very slim anyways. I just can't get through my head to stop worrying.
HelloLove994
Neophyte
Member # 95513

Basically, I have a lot of time during the day to think and it definitely doesn't help the situation because I just sit and think of the way something could have happened.
Heather
Member # 3

So, how about you find some new things to fill your day with?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

HelloLove994
Neophyte
Member # 95513

Well, I leave school at 11:00 to go to work through a school program and I work in a very quiet building as a receptionist, so it's kind of hard to do that. I was just wondering if it would be silly to take another test when the first 3 were negative. Now that I'm talking to someone about this I feel kind of crazy for even asking.
Heather
Member # 3

Well, if you can think about THIS while you're doing that, you can think about anything. It's not like being in a quiet space only limits you to thinking about one thing.

What about bringing a book to read during quiet times?

Personally, I don't have money to keep throwing at things like that, and by all means, it's not like your result is going to be any different than it has been. But only you can figure out what you need here, and what you're willing to throw money at.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

HelloLove994
Neophyte
Member # 95513

I know I'm making myself sound crazy [Smile] I just don't know why it would be this late. Thanks Heather!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.