Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Confused

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Confused
NervousWreck
Neophyte
Member # 95984

Icon 11 posted      Profile for NervousWreck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I just wanted a little clearification. I am quite the worry-wort as I do suffer from an anxiety disorder and I have been worried with school this month. I was just wondering, my period was due on Tuesday and it still hasn't shown up. I've had slight cramps for about 5 mins yesterday but other than that, no sign of it. I have never had any other form of sex other than manual sex and I have continuously read from this site that there is only a risk when a hand with semen on it is directly inserted into the vagina (correct me if I am wrong!) I just don't understand where my period is! I always get it on time, like clockwork but this month, nothing. I had been fingered on the 15th of August and got my period a week later so I assumed that I wasn't pregnant from that. Am i being worried about this for nothing? :\ Please help ease my mind! Thanks in advance!
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I ask how you chart your cycles?

And when you say your period has always arrived on time, do you mean that up until now, your cycles have been the exact same number of days each time?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68261 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NervousWreck
Neophyte
Member # 95984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NervousWreck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I chart my period on my calender, marking the beginning date and the ending date. I get my period every 23 days for 3-4 days in between. Each month, I will get my period on the 23rd day and if not, a day late or early at most. I'm just really worried that I could possibly be pregnant or something is wrong with me medically. [Frown] As I've said, I do have an anxiety disorder and this causes me to worry a lot more than normal so I'm very sorry if I seem like I am over exaggerating!
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NervousWreck
Neophyte
Member # 95984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NervousWreck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I am sorry for adding information, but I had also engaged in mutual sex on the Monday before my period was due, I just remembered. Could this have lead to anything if I had any semen on my hands? :\
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know you haven't had any of the kind of sex -- read: intercourse -- that presents a pregnancy risk, so you know you can rule that out.

(I don't know what "mutual sex" is. I assume you either mean manual sex or mutual masturbation? If so, if you don't know already, you should know those activities can't create a pregnancy.)

If your period has literally always been that regular, that's actually nothing short of a miracle, especially in the first few years of having it.

So, being off by a few days now? Very common, nothing to worry about, and this will probably happen with more frequency as you get older.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68261 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NervousWreck
Neophyte
Member # 95984

Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry for the typo. [Smile] And I have had my period since I was 9 and I am 17 now, it has just always been regular as far as I can remember. As for the manual sex, I have read that there is possibly a risk if the semen is fresh. I am not quite sure what that means.. but even then, is the risk a large one or is it still quite small? Thank you for your patience. [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

Like I said, that kind of regularity, especially for that long and with a period starting so early is extremely unusual. So, for your own mental health, you're going to want to see what you can do to feel comfortable with less regularity than you've been used to.

Here's our information about what does and does not pose a pregnancy risk: Pregnancy Scared?.

As you'll see there, unless you were basically taking a handful of semen and rubbing it all over your vulva, you're not looking at a pregnancy risk, and even IN that case, a pregnancy resulting would be unlikely.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

NervousWreck
Neophyte
Member # 95984

Thank you for the reasurrance. I guess it will just come when it's ready. [Frown] But in regards to the scenario you posed, I don't really understand why that wouldn't be considered a risk or an unlikely one. What would be the difference with puting a handful of semen and rubbing it on the vulva or if semen was just ejaculated onto the vulva or something more risky?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sperm need really specific conditions to be able to function -- and those conditions include pretty much direct contact. So the difference between having a handful of semen and ejaculating directly on a vulva is the hand involved in the first situation -- it means that the semen was transferred instead of ejaculated directly onto the vulva, which makes it indirect contact, if you see what I mean. Sperm is actually pretty fragile, so as soon as it touches another surface before being transferred to the vulva/vagina, then its ability to function is more likely to be compromised. Does that make sense?

For more (and uh, clearer) information on that, there's a section in this article on sperm and semen:
Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

[ 09-21-2012, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NervousWreck
Neophyte
Member # 95984

I think I am kind of understanding it. So the sperm is no longer viable as soon as it touches a hand or any surface other than the vulva?
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, that's pretty much it -- the transfer to another surface (your skin) makes the sperm no longer viable. That's why if there's a LOT of semen on your hand, then there's technically a risk (albeit a small one) as heather said -- there's the possibility that enough of the sperm managed to survive the transfer (by not being in direct contact with your hand -- as in, the sperm in the centre of a big blob of semen, if you get what I mean).

You'll also see in the article that one sperm actually needs many others along the way to be able to co-create a pregnancy, which is another reason why there'd need to be a lot of semen on your hand to cause a potential pregnancy.

[ 09-21-2012, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NervousWreck
Neophyte
Member # 95984

Thank you. [Smile] So something like a drop of semen on my hand wouldn't have been able to create a pregnancy, I would have needed a lot more. That's very reassuring. [Smile] Maybe I am just stressing out too much this month because of the start of the new school year.
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Yep, that's exactly right! And it's definitely possible that stress and/or anxiety from other areas of life are spilling over into this, that's a pretty common occurrence. If you're having trouble managing stress with the start of the school year, you could always talk to a school counsellor if you're in high school, or a student experience office/other student support organization member if you're attending university/college, and they'll be able to help you find ways to manage the stress [Smile]
NervousWreck
Neophyte
Member # 95984

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it. [Smile]
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

No problem [Smile]
NervousWreck
Neophyte
Member # 95984

Hi, i know i made this post a while ago so im sorry for reposting. However my period is again 3 days late and I've been a little nauseated but the only risks i have had this month were the same as the one discribed here. I was wondering if taking a pregnancy test would be pointless? And also, i have a pregnancy test that was never used however the cap was taken off. What happened was, i was about to use it so i took off the cap and then i realized i had gotten my period and put the cap back on. The instructions on the package say that i should leave the cap on though.. is it still viable? Please reply! :$ Thank you in advance.
Heather
Member # 3

Personally, my opinion is that if and when it seems like a pregnancy test will make you feel a lot better, then it's never silly to take one.

It sounds like, though, you'll need to get a new one rather than using the one that was already opened when you looked at it.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.