Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Can a period be this odd?..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can a period be this odd?..
FrankieFrog
Activist
Member # 95707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrankieFrog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

I just spoke with my girlfriend, who is now 11 days late on her period, and she said she believes the discharge she experienced those few days was her period, only very off.

Apparently, she had a very unusual amount of brown discharge around Day 20 of her cycle, and it lasted about 4 days.
During this, she felt no pain, it had no odor, and she doubts it's blood because she didn't injure herself internally nor could it have been spotting because it was enough to soak a full pad.

When she returns from camp tomorrow evening we're thinking of going to the women's clinic to properly figure this out but in the meantime, is it possible for this to have been a period?

What is it most likely to be?..

She normally has brown or white discharge from about 10 days before her next cycle, but this has been 18 days now.

I'm worried it could be a pregnancy symptom..but maybe it's a health complication that's also affecting her cycle?

Posts: 74 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Frankiefrog,

There's really no way for us to know what this was, or what it was most likely to be, but as Heather mentioned in your other thread, there are a lot of factors that can contribute to periods being late or heavier/lighter than normal.
Is this the potential period you've already mentioned in this thread? If that's the case, it sounds like a good idea for you to head to the clinic when you have the chance. This doesn't sound like anything to worry about (especially as it sounds like she has taken two pregnancy tests that have come back negative, right?), but as your girlfriend isn't up to date on her sexual healthcare this is a good next step.

Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FrankieFrog
Activist
Member # 95707

Icon 9 posted      Profile for FrankieFrog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah that's the one..

I've read through the articles you guys have and been able to eliminate some possibilities but with all the commotion in me and my girlfriend's lives recently, I can't really recall whether we did anything risky.

Knowing me, I would only have unprotected sex with her about Day 28/29 of her 30 day cycle, but I feel like I loosened on that rule this month and had it with her shortly after we knew she had ovulated, and even then I only did it after urinating twice beforehand.

Perhaps you could help me answer that question, just to ease my worries?

Like you guys so clearly point out, in most pregnancies, the guy ejaculated into the woman at her fertile time while having unprotected, vaginal sex, and any other way than this is just very unlikely ie. manual sex.

But in my case, I had unprotected sex with her about 6 days after her ovulation day, after having urinated twice since my last ejaculation, and I didn't ejaculate into her!

Yet now with this late/missed period, along with the many many factors in this month that differ her routine from the norm, I can't for the life of me decide if it might be a viable pregnancy risk and we should get a blood test (which i'm afraid will be costly too) or if it's just a normal thing for all that's happened this month.

Just an F.Y.I, here are the things that happened this cycle:

1) Finals exam results came back, she got great results, been holding her breath for months.

2) Both of us moved house from living as neighbors to now a 1 hour trip away.

3) She started swimming, for the first time in about 10 years.

4) She got accepted to the college that was her first choice.

5) We had a few big couple fights.

Is it possible it's just out of whack because of these huge occurrences or does it sound like I did something that would pose a viable pregnancy risk?

Posts: 74 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In your previous thread, you said she'd taken a home pregnancy test and it was negative, correct? If so, assuming the test was used properly, then a blood test isn't really necessary. There is a risk in unprotected intercourse, but with no ejaculation, that risk is small. As we've said, there are a lot of potential causes for her cycle wonkiness, and it's possible that the brown discharge she had was a very light period, but checking in with a healthcare provider never hurts, and there's really not much more we can tell you.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5760 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FrankieFrog
Activist
Member # 95707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrankieFrog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, thanks [Smile]

Her cycle has never really been very regular anyway, we usually just gauge from her discharges because THOSE are regular but this month they all got mooshed together into that brown discharge..

Okay could you clarify for me then, is it possible to have a period without cramping or the usual things associated with a period?
ie. being moody, having sore breasts.

My thinking is that that was her period, but it was so light and early that we can't be certain, especially when the discharge looked like blood that's a day old.
Along with that, she's had no symptoms of anything, PMS, pregnancy, infection, nothing!

No cramps, no headaches, no sore breasts, no funny odors, no moodiness, it's like her period just jammed on the breaks and disappeared..

That's really what's causing all this anxiety..there's no sign of what it might be.

Also, when can it be considered a missed period as a opposed to a late period?
Because she's had a 42-day cycle before, and today is just Day 41, is she late, missed it, or have we not reached either yet till we pass Day 42?

Thank you very much [Smile]

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Late periods are generally considered late when they are five days later than the latest a period is expected based on patterns of recent cycles (over the least year, let's say) in the past. A missed period is generally when we go through one cycle, and then don't get a period at all until we're expecting the next. Then we know we missed the one before.

Not everyone has the same things happen with a period per things like tender breasts or mood changes. As well, even one person doesn't always have those things with a given cycle because they have had them before.

But I really do think at this point that if either of you are worried about a pregnancy, it is past time to take a test so you can put this to bed. And if she has concerns about her health, then it's past time for her to check in with a healthcare provider.

You know I think you're awesome, Frankie, but at this point, I think you or the both of you need to handle this one on your own and figure out what your next step is. We just really can't do anything about knowing or telling you what was her period or not, because we just can't know that. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68208 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FrankieFrog
Activist
Member # 95707

Thanks Heather [Big Grin]

Yeah..I guess that makes sense.

Her "strong women instincts", as she puts it, tell her that it's just late and I try to think they're worth something but I dunno!
When she took the 2 pregnancy tests, she couldn't have been less worried.

Heck, her face didn't move a twitch when I showed her the negative!

Anyway, I think i'm just so concerned about it because I always said she should get on the pill and we should always use a condom, try charting and so on, but she refused all of them saying she's afraid they'll call her mom because she's not 18 yet.

Then whenever this happens, she's cool as can be, with absolutely no doubt that we had safe sex, and sure enough for the 3 years we've been sexually active, she's always been right and her period come hell or high water, comes after whenever! :|

And I really don't like asking her to take the HPT s either because she's never happy to do it; Catholic guilt she says.

Anyhoo, i'll let you guys know again as things progress and hopefully it's not something to do with her health, if anything that should be my top priority.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, moving forward what YOU know is that you are not okay with engaging in things without safer sex and contraception.

What that means is that either she needs to get on board with that and agree to use what you need to be comfortable, or you two have to agree to disagree and also nix any sex where you want and need those things. Same goes for things like testing if and when a risk is taken.

In other words, you two have some BIG gaps in what you each want and need to address, and you have to work them out, together, or acknowledge you can't and move on and away from a sexual relationship. I suggest you do that working-out before you get sexual again, because it's all too clear that the way things have been going? It's not working.

(Also, I don't know who the "they" is who would call her Mom per condoms and charting. You can go get condoms, and it's not like someone is watching over her charting. She can engage in both of these things without any risk of her parents being notified by anyone unless there's some kind of secret condom or fertility-charting gods or spies I don't know about!)

[ 01-28-2013, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68208 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like she feels she has some barriers to getting reliable birth control, as well as expressing guilt around it. Although I'm confused as to why she thinks condoms are out of the question (you can get them at any pharmacy basically, and even walmart, and you don't have to be 18+ to get them), what's standing out to me here is what she's expressing in terms of feeling "catholic guilt" around taking a HPT, and feeling like there'd be consequences if her family found out she was using any form of birth control/having sex.

Has she talked to her doctor about her options around birth control? The patient-confidentiality laws actually usually apply to people under 18 as well. But there are also methods, like condoms, that she doesn't have to get a prescription for. Have you guys talked about that together as well? And has she considered trying to find ways of dealing with any guilt she might be feeling around sex? Talking to a counsellor would be a good avenue for that.

Also, have you checked in with her to make sure she's feeling good and comfortable with all of the sex you're having? And if she says she is, have you discussed maybe holding off on unprotected sex because it seems like YOU'RE not comfortable with it? Perhaps setting some ground rules around what kinds of sex you feel you need to have some form of contraception for to be able to feel comfortable?

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FrankieFrog
Activist
Member # 95707

Oh! Sorry there seems to be a fairly big misunderstanding with what I said [Razz]

She's afraid to go and get prescription birth control like the pill, as well as afraid to buy condoms but we still use them because I go out and buy them.

We always have a lot on hand and believe it or not, I oftentimes don't want to have sex with her, i'd rather we spend quality time talking and going out and things like that but she almost always wants unprotected sex because she says it feels better..and don't get me wrong, she's not a reckless one-time fling.

She's very aware of her own cycle(she started her period at 10 years old and has been on top of it ever since) and she tracks it very religiously, so when the days come that she gets all the green lights that her ovulation happened a week or two weeks ago, she gets very amorous.

We've talked a lot about it and she says while she'll respect my worries about it and only do it when i'm comfortable, how can I say no to her when she DOES want it?
It's not a self-control thing, i'm very okay not having sex, but whenever I turn her down, she usually ends up looking very dejected and disappointed, though she denies it.

So I figured a healthy compromise would be to use protection as often as possible without being a buzzkill to her when she DOES want it unprotected.
So those times that she wants to have unprotected sex, I drink a liter or so of water beforehand, pee about 2/3 times, then wash it up like crazy THEN we have sex, after which I pull out long before my ejaculation and finish off elsewhere.

I feel like I do everything to keep us as safe as possible while trying to please her as well..so charting, urinating beforehand, withdrawal method and just general caution are what we've been trying and I know it's not 100% safe- as is any method of birth control, but I work a lot on my control so I don't accidentally spill it into her, but even with all these measures..I know that unprotected sex isn't a good road no matter how you cut it.

But to her, on the days she's certain, she is CERTAIN, C.E.R.T.A.I.N.
In a good & bad way, because she's so sure when there's no risk that she doesn't even need to give the possibility a second-thought after we have sex.

She says i'm just way paranoid and while she understands the risks and will be completely involved if we did anything believed to pose a rational risk, she still believes I overreact..like in this case.

So I don't really know..she says she knows her body best and if there were anything up, she'd tell me, and she doesn't just mean symptoms..like, intuition.

Sorry for rambling, maybe i'm just being kinda paranoid..it's kinda my nature :|

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Frankie,

When you say your girlfriend charts her cycles, what does she do? That is, does she take her basal body temperature and check her cervical mucus every day, and has she been doing that for a while? i'm a firm believer in respecting someone's own understanding of their body, but that is really the only way that someone can get a clear picture of their fertility cycle.

What I'm hearing here is that you don't want to engage in sex as often as she does. That's really and truly okay. With all sexual activities, no matter the gender of the person saying no, the person saying no always gets the final say.

Certainly I can understand that it hurts to see that dejected look on her face but it's also on her to *tel* you how she feels, and if she says she's okay with you not wanting to have intercourse, then it's okay for you to take her at her word. If we spent all our time second-guessing what people tell us, we'd be pretty exhausted and wouldn't have much time left for other things.

You've been talking strictly about intercourse here. Do the two of you engage in other sexual activities? There are many fun things that don't carry a pregnancy risk with them, and might be a happy compromise on days when *both* of you want to engage sexually with each other.

Take a look at the activities that have NO Pregnancy Risks

I think you might also find it helpful to read these pieces on being able to say no to sex:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/i_want_to_have_sex_he_doesnt_why_not_and_what_do_i_do_now

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/whoa_there_how_to_slow_down_when_youre_moving_too_fast

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FrankieFrog
Activist
Member # 95707

Hi Robin!

Thanks for your reply [Smile]
Yeah she checks her basal body temperature and her cervical mucus everyday, of which i'm certain because she's a "clean freak" and she cleans herself very thoroughly.

To that end, she's done this for about 3 years now with the BBT, but for about 7 years just by checking her mucus.

She says her ovulation days are generally scattered between Day 10 and Day 14.
She notes that her BBT always dips for a day or sometimes two, then increases, and she says the dip is always accompanied by a egg-whitish discharge that lasts several days, going from little to a lot, then disappearing completely as her temperature increases.

She say's those are textbook signs of an O day, and we don't "play around" with the O day, meaning we don't have any sort of risky sexual activity like vaginal sex or any genital contact at all till about 7 days after the O day has passed.

On top of that, when we finally do have sex, we use a condom but recently, she's been very very eager to have unprotected sex and I know I never go against my best judgement.

I may concede, but only if I have urinated at the very very least once before my previous ejaculation, which is always as long ago the night before.

So..I respect how in control she is of her body and how well she knows it, but all the statistics and what-ifs..it's so confusing and nerve-wracking to think that that 1 in 1000000 could be me..

Anyway, we do have other sexual activities we like but vaginal sex is still her dirty favorite and this is the final cycle before she turns 18 and will get on birth control pills..and I just feel like an absolute idiot.

I mean, 1 cycle away from peace of mind!..
And on this cycle, we have to introduce 10 new factors that could cause her period to be late, AND have more unprotected sex than previous months ..i'm such an idiot..

Anyway, today she says she's experienced nothing in the past 2 weeks except the brown discharge which might have been a lot of old blood.

She said no breast tenderness, no other discharge, no moodiness, appetite change, headaches, lower back pains, frequent urination, fatigue, nothing!

I can't figure it out, Robin..:S
She's still standing firm on not going to a women's clinic until her birthday in early February, and she says I should take this opportunity to learn to be calm about missed periods because they happen and this is perfectly explainable and just because we had sex and she missed a period doesn't necessarily mean she's pregnant.

X.X

FrankieFrog
Activist
Member # 95707

Also, I should note that she's had a huge change of diet recently, going from proper homecooked meals 3 times a day, to scattered food court food 2 times a day at odd timings.

She's just a BMI decimal above underweight and we're now certain that this missed period is nothing to be concerned about since there are so many crazy factors involved this month that would easily affect someone like her and delay her period [Smile]

A strange sense of calm has washed over me..maybe my subconscious remembers details from our sexual encounters that reassure me that I handled it safely and has finally come to put my mind at ease!

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missed periods are pretty typical. I've had many myself. [Smile]

However, that doesn't mean you're an idiot for worrying. It just means that it's vital to you to not be in a position where you would have to deal with an unwanted pregnancy. You know what you do and don't want, and there's nothing wrong with that. Having strong feelings about something is not idiotic. [Smile]

I'm sorry to hear that your girlfriend isn't more understanding of your anxiety.

Reading through this thread, though, it looks like your girlfriend has already had negative pregnancy tests.

It does sound here like this is more about helping you manage your anxiety, than about whether or not she could be pregnant. This doesn't make you a bad person.

So, to start with, what kinds of things have you done in the past that have helped you when you've felt worried or anxious?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FrankieFrog
Activist
Member # 95707

Well Scarleteen has always been a huge help because everyone is so supportive and I feel very safe disclosing every little detail of my worries here [Smile]

That always helps a ton because my girlfriend mostly doesn't wanna hear it anymore after a certain point, somewhat understandably I guess.

There is also a detail I omitted on a "need-to-know" basis, but I think it's relevant now!

I'm a student nurse, learning at the Institute of Technical Education here, I hope to progress into midwifery someday [Smile]

Thinking about how my experiences will help others usually calms me and in an odd way really motivates me to explore my emotions fully whenever something like this happens, so that hopefully sometime in the future if I do become a midwife, I can really understand where some teenagers may be coming from.

And yeah she's had the negative tests and thinking about it now..I guess it's my meticulous paranoia that gets me.

Oh and lastly, listing any helpful points to myself in a neat order usually help me rationalize, as you may notice from my writing style at times [Razz]

I find it helps me get some good perspective, yknow?
Like while all couples are different, some can be trying to conceive for months, maybe even spilling into a year before having a positive test result, and all this while doing everything right!

To think about that and how hard some others try to get pregnant and how perfect the conditions must be, then to even CONSIDER the idea of an errant drop of semen landing somewhere in the vicinity of her vagina and crawling in seems more like a cartoon than anything, a cartoon which I often end up fooling myself into believing until I list things out and rationalize [Razz]

I now however have another concern..
I wanted to start a new thread in a different section of the forum but since I have you, i'll do it here!

[THE QUESTION]

I have always had excellent control of my penile muscles, so in the 3 years of our very arousing encounters I have never had a "misfire".
(Not to brag, this is relevant!)

And i'm not sure if it's because of this or some other reason, but I noticed about half a year ago that I don't have pre-cum.

Because of our very mixed schooling schedules nowadays, we end up not having much time for regular sex so I masturbate a fair bit more.
And I've noticed that I don't have pre-cum..i'm certain of it.

As painful as it is for me, I even took a tissue and gently wrapped my 'head' with it as I went about my business firmly for about 15 minutes in one particular incident, and nothing!
No pre-cum whatsoever, maybe the 1 second before an actual ejaculation I may excrete some pre-cum but in all other scenarios..there's none.

My girlfriend even remarks when she gives me oral sex that she never tastes anything, and whenever we have vaginal sex i'm always dry as a bone till she gets it started..

Is it normal for me to not have pre-cum?
Some forums say all guys have it, some say it's an individual thing, most say pre-cum doesn't come out til just before an ejaculation, what's the right answer?

In this question, i'm referring to the fluid that supposedly comes out of the urethra when a male is sexually aroused and lubricates the head, sometimes quite obviously.

(I have really "examined it up close" and everything, and for the life of me there's never any pre-cum.)

I ask because I am honestly afraid I will injure myself if we have sex too vigorously.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hey Frankie,

Whatever type of nursing or other medical profession you end up going into, you'll be able to use this level of care and consideration to help others to feel cared for and respected. [Smile]

No, not all folks with penises have a lot of pre-ejaculate. So the fact that you don't notice fluid coming out before ejaculation isn't unusual or problematic. Have you experienced any pain or discomfort during intercourse or any other sexual activity (aside from the time you used the tissue, that is)?

Oh, and you're absolutely right. The idea of the stray drop of semen landing near her vagina and crawling in is the stuff of cartoons...in fact, I think one of our volunteers even drew a cartoon of something similar.

--------------------
Robin

FrankieFrog
Activist
Member # 95707

Well thank you! I think so too [Smile]

Well yes, actually..I experience a fair bit of discomfort pretty much throughout the time we have sex without somehow lubricating beforehand ie. lubes/condoms with lube.

At that first moment that I penetrate her I usually have to stop half-way through and ease my way into it.
Normally, the sexual stimulation of it is so overwhelming that I don't care if it's 7/10 on the discomfort scale for awhile.

Usually "awhile" is 75% of the time we have sex, during the last 25% of which she is very wet and doing all the lubricating by herself.

I'm uncircumcised and have always had a very sensitive head..combine that with the fact that even if she gives me manual sex for 15 minutes i'm still dry all over the head and even under the foreskin!

It's usually not painful enough to cause me any worry, but on occasion it DOES feel like something is going to rip, at which point I usually give her some tongue stuff before trying again.

I'm just concerned that there might be something wrong with my sperm if no pre-cum is coming out at all..
Does it mean my urethra can't get clean or washed out any other way besides me urinating?..

I mean, I get that it's not really supposed to be a "overflowing" thing where the whole head is slobbered with pre-cum and such, but I am way too certain that it's either nonexistent or it's hiding forever, or at least till that split second before I ejaculate.

It even hurts sometimes when I pull the skin back, even if just a little, and even if i'm about to finish masturbating somewhat vigorously there's still no sign of any pre-cum whatsoever.

I know you guys are professionals but I really do apologize if anything's too graphic :|

Thanks again!
I guess a pregnancy scare can make anyone a little nutty, whatever the age and circumstance, thank goodness for credible sites like Scarleteen or i'd still be on Yahoo talking to "Mary" with "3 angels and twins on the way" after having supposedly used 4 methods of birth control..
Those "true stories" used to really freak me out.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

[Smile] I'm sorry you had to read those stories on Yahoo, but glad to hear you don't believe them anymore.

Do you think your amount of pre-ejaculate has changed at all? That's really the only circumstance in which I would be concerned, as a change in bodily functions, while it can often just be a sign of the body's ability to fluctuate, can also signal a problem.

I'd say though that if your body has always been like that, that it most likely is able to balance itself out just fine.

I'm a big fan of being comfortable whenever possible, so if you feel discomfort or irritation, I'd suggest using some lube before intercourse, even if you aren't using condoms.

--------------------
Robin

FrankieFrog
Activist
Member # 95707

Nope, no change!
It's always been non-existent which has always worried me in the sense that I actually thought it was "invisible" at one point [Razz]

I read about all these "pre-cum pregnancies" and while I realize pre-cum can contain sperm from a recent ejaculation not flushed out by urinating, I highly doubt what many other open forums say about pre-cum is true.

In any case, should I be worried in the future about pre-cum being a viable pregnancy risk, seeing as I may very well not secrete any?
(Assuming that I truly do not produce pre-cum and it's not just in my head.)

Of course I have no intention of using this as natural birth control, but I would really like to know!

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Well, it would stand to reason that if you have no fluid coming out, there's nothing to carry any possibly still viable sperm out of the urethra. I can't really give you a more definite answer than that, and since you won't (thank goodness) be using this as a form of birth control, I think you'll be okay. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

FrankieFrog
Activist
Member # 95707

Thanks, Robin! [Smile]

Before starting my clinical attachment at a hospital (IF I pass my mid-term exams) I have a mandatory full medical check-up, i'll ask the doctor about it, see what he thinks too!

Thanks very much to all of you for the help, I feel so much better now, i'll update you on my girlfriend's cycle and maybe post the tale of why she was late in a fitting part of the forum [Smile]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're most welcome.

Best of luck on your midterm exams. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

FrankieFrog
Activist
Member # 95707

Hey again!

So we went to the women's clinic today..it's mixed news and i'm really hoping you guys can weigh in on it, let me know what you think and such.

It was a long wait but finally got a doctor to see us and she said another pregnancy test is fine and advisable if we're concerned but otherwise we should trust the two negatives [Smile]

She then explained that my girlfriend may take a very long time to have her cycle become regular without medication because according to her medical history, she heavily abused prescription drugs when she first started having her period (10 years old) because of how stressed her mother made her and it severely weakened her system..

She said she might even have some fertility issues given the severity of her misuse of the drugs but she won't be able to prescribe her anything unless she runs all the appropriate tests but we said we'd wait because even visiting the clinic is over our budget already..

The kindly Dr Lee also explained that brown discharge and the late period! [Smile]
When my girlfriend moved house, she changed her diet completely because previously she ate curry every day, along with rice and mixed vegetables, EVERY DAY EVERY MEAL.
At her new house, she ended up skipping meals and eating fast food and take-away almost everyday.

Dr Lee said the abrupt change in lifestyle, diet and routine likely caused the brown discharge because a sudden unusually high amount of protein or wheat or something like that can apparently induce this brown discharge!

Overall though..i'm glad we have proper, credible explanations for things now but the things her mother did to her that lead her to the lifestyle she lived even at that age really saddens me..I don't even know if i'm angry at her mother or just frustrated because I wasn't there to stop it.

In any case, she seemed to take it quite in stride and I assured her I would never leave her side and we would face all of it together..we have yet to set a date for a possible follow-up appointment but we very very likely will be able to if my girlfriend can twist her mum's arm to give her her allowance.

Thanks so much in advance for your time, I really really appreciate it [Smile]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hi Frankie,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to make a trip to the clinic and that the doctor was helpful and supportive.

While I don't know exactly what the cause would be for the brown discharge, it definitely makes sense that an abrupt change in diet could contribute to that.

It's really rough to hear when a loved one has been through bad things, so I definitely understand your mixed emotions around that.

Is there anything here specifically that you'd like input on?

--------------------
Robin

FrankieFrog
Activist
Member # 95707

Hey Robin!

Yeah she really was [Smile]

Actually, a few things!
First off, we asked Dr Lee about ovulation during pregnancy too and she said it's biologically impossible, and yesterday, my girlfriend said her ovulation is coming so that's that [Razz]

And secondly, do you know of any methods she can practice to regulate her period and improve her overall reproductive/sexual health?

Like foods she can eat, lifestyle practices, etc.
We'll ask Dr Lee again of course but your second opinion is very valuable too [Smile]

Thanks!

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

HI There,

Yes, ovulation during pregnancy is biologically impossible. [Smile]

IN general, eating fresh, healthful food, getting plenty of sleep, and regular moderate exercise are good for all systems in the body. How much that will help with cycle regulation will depend on an individual's body.

--------------------
Robin

FrankieFrog
Activist
Member # 95707

Hey again Robin and all!

So Dr Lee got back to us about another visit where we have decided and thankfully can now afford to get my girlfriend on some birth control! [Smile]

Also, my girlfriend had her period today and I couldn't be more relieved!
All this while the signs gradually pointed to her not being pregnant with the negative tests and her saying she thought she was ovulating (we've debunked her "ovulation" discharge as part of her PMS), but now for her to get her period?

That's really the nail in the coffin on this worrywart!

Thank you so much to everyone here at Scarleteen.
I'd like to share this whole experience with everyone who could use the raw realism behind this by posting it in full on some part of the forum..

Where would be an appropriate place to share how this turned out? [Smile]
There are so many minor incidences and ups-and-downs to this whole thing..a reply as short as this one just won't cut it!

Thanks so much again [Smile]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hey Frankie,

Really glad to hear you have some relief here, and that your girlfriend has some good medical care. [Smile]

The "all about you" forum is generally a good place for folks to post their experiences and feelings about things. [Smile] Remember too that people can also read through the posts on this thread, so they'll certainly see the thnigs you've gone through and felt over these past few months.

--------------------
Robin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.