Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Possible Condom Leakage and BC Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Possible Condom Leakage and BC Question
melissa9955
Neophyte
Member # 102721

Icon 4 posted      Profile for melissa9955     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

My Boyfriend and I are very close and have had sex many times using a condom with no problems. About three weeks ago we had our first (and hopefully only problem).

Basically we had sex and he pulled out right after he came (as always). He hadn't fully lost his erection yet so the condom it didn't slip or anything. We also did the test where you fill the condom up with water and there weren't any holes or slits. The condom fit him well and we left enough space at the top and used it correctly, but we noticed a lot of fluid around his penis. None of his cum that we saw made it past an inch from the top of the condom. I know that it could have been from me because I was sitting on top of him before we actually had sex and that it was probably mixed with the lubrication from the condom (one we hadn't used before), but I'm still scared that it was from him and that I might be pregnant.

My period never comes on the exact same day every month, but usually it comes within the first 3 days of the month. Today is the 1st so it should be coming any day now, but I'm just really worried that it won't. Then again, if I get it I'm sure it will be late because I'm so stressed out about it.

Can you please tell me how likely you think it is that I'm pregnant?

The other question I have is about the pill. Obviously after this I want to go on it, but I'm a very competitive athlete in a sport where my weight needs to always be under 115 pounds and I'm worried that the pill will make me gain too much weight. How much weight do people usually gain when they go on the pill?

I know you're all very busy, but please get back to me as soon as possible I'm really really scared.

Thanks.

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, there's really no need to fill condoms with water after using them. I suspect the idea that's necessary is based ion fears generated by abstinence-only propaganda which makes false claims like that condoms have "microscopic holes" in them you can't see with your eyes.

The fact is, when a condom rips or breaks, it's usually quite obvious, just like when a balloon does.

I hear you saying you used the condom for all genital contact, from start to finish, and that it did not slip off, break or tear. I also hear you reporting what sounds like seeing lubricant or your fluids at the base of the condom, which is often going to happen. I don't hear you reporting anything that sounds like a condom failure.

Per the pill, weight gain isn't a typical side effect, especially not a) anything more than temporary gain and b) a temporary gain of more than five pounds. And when that does happen, it's water weight, which your body is likely used to tossing off easily given you being an athlete. In a word, if water bloat during your period is a non-issue, it'd likely be about the same thing with any combined hormonal contraceptive method, like the pill, patch or ring.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI melissa9955 and welcome to Scarleteen,

When you say that you filled the condom with water to check for leaks, was this before or after you used it?

Since the condom was still on your boyfriend's penis, I'm not hearing anything that says "condom failure".

Here's some more information about condom use that you might find helpful.

Condom Basics: A User's Manual

As to the pill, not all people gain weight when taking it, so it really does depend on how an individual's body reacts to the pill, and even then, different brands will have difffrent side effects for different people. The pill isn't your only birth control option. Would you like to discuss your contraception options in general?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melissa9955
Neophyte
Member # 102721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melissa9955     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Thanks for a reply so quickly! We checked afterwards and there was nothing. So you don't think there's a chance I could be pregnant?

and thanks for your advice on the pill. In that case I will totally start taking it.

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In terms of concerns about pregnancy, were you able to start by reading through this post at the top of this forum page, and the links within it: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/027786.html

As well, you understand that any contraceptive method, including condoms, is as effective as it is, yes? None are 100% effective (condoms, particularly, are 98% effective in perfect use over one year of use, and around 85% effective in typical use in one year), so anytime people have engaged in the kind of sex that can potentially create a pregnancy, even with reliable contraception use, we can never tell them there has been no risk, because that will never be true.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melissa9955
Neophyte
Member # 102721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melissa9955     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok thanks! I've read everything and I'm starting to feel a little bit better. [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

[Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.