Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Sex + Birth Control = Pregnancy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex + Birth Control = Pregnancy?
stich626
Neophyte
Member # 109311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stich626     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Scarleteen,
I have never posted here before, but have read your articles. Recently I had sex with my boyfriend of a little over 3 years. We had been talking about sex for about a year now, but I was really nervous about getting pregnant. After about a year, I realized that pregnancy wouldn't be possible with using the birth control pill (I've never been over 3 hours late, and normally take it at 10 (give or take 15 minutes)), a condom with water-based lube to reduce friction from start to finish, and pulling out (with him holding the base of the condom while doing so. I wasn't worried the first couple days and was really excited about it, but now i've been rethinking and just hoping for a little reassurance before I think about it too much.

I was wondering if condoms can have microscopic holes that you can't see that would allow some precum to pass through? Also, If I was giving a handjob as forplay and possibly a little precum touched my hands, and I put on the condom after, could precum go from my hand onto the condom into my vagina and impreginate me?

Also, I saw that the pill doesn't always work for everyone. If I get my bleed during the pill free week and it seems to be working the way it's supposed to, can you be sure it works for me?

I know it was the right person and right time for me. I read all of your articles, but would still like some reassurance that with what exactly happened I cannot be pregnant. Thank You:)

Posts: 21 | From: US | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea that condoms have microscopic holes in them is a myth. If a condom has a hole in it, you'll know, because that hole will very quickly become bigger and a condom with a hole in it looks a lot like a popped balloon: it's obvious.

You say you've read all our articles: what do they tell you about the risk of pregnancy from manual sex (fingering)?

Per the pill's effectiveness, if you take your pill on time then there's no reason to think that it isn't working for you. There's no way to know for sure, unfortunately, because the only real indication that it's working is that you're not pregnant, but the pill is very effective when used properly and you're backing up with condoms, so pregnancy is not something that you need to be concerned about.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stich! Welcome to Scarleteen. [Smile]

When a condom breaks is something that is going to be totally visible and you will notice. Something like when a balloon pops. Condoms having microscopic holes is a myth. [Smile]

Sounds like you are using 3 methods of Birth Control (the pill, condoms and withdrawal). All of them combinated and used properly have a very high rate of efficiency. You can learn more about combinig methods in this article:

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

Having your breakthrough bleeding is a sign you are not pregnant, so yes, it's a sign the pill did its work. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stich626
Neophyte
Member # 109311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stich626     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Thank you for the quick responses. I read that touching precum is not a pregnancy risk and that sperm need to have direct contact.

Also, I read on the condom user's manuel that a few drops of lube need to be added. I have a water-based jelly that I use. Will it do the same thing? Is liquid vs jelly better for the condom not to break?

One more question for the future, if instead of talking "per year" and we talk "per use", if I had sex, and the condom did not break and I use it start to finish, can I be positive the condom did its job for that time (since you said the microscopic holes thing was a myth)?

Thank you again:)

Posts: 21 | From: US | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're absolutely correct: touching precum is not a pregnancy risk.

When it comes to lube, as long as it's water-based, then you're fine. Liquid or jelly is just a matter of personal preference, and both kinds will help keep condoms from breaking.

Per your last question, if the condom was used for all genital contact and did not break then you can be sure that it did its job.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stich626
Neophyte
Member # 109311

Great!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your quick responses and informed answers! I got a little freaked out when I typed in a couple questions and wiki answers scared me.

Thanks again! [Smile]

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

You're very welcome. [Smile]

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.