Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Light bleeding during sex/pink discharge?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Light bleeding during sex/pink discharge?
nat1018
Neophyte
Member # 102268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nat1018     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to preface this, I'm in the process of getting an appointment with my OBGYN to get this checked out. I just wanted some help in the meantime!

Since my last period 2 weeks ago, I've noticed that I've had some bleeding during sex. Sex isn't at all painful, unless we skimp on the foreplay a bit, though. And the blood doesn't look like fresh blood, it tends to be darker. From what I've read, we probably just need to use more lubrication/more foreplay, but I was wondering what else to do to help with this.

Also, I've noticed that I've had some light pink discharge lately. I haven't had any itching or fishy smells, so I'm just kind of worried about that, because I've read that this kind of discharge can signal pregnancy? I'm on birth control, take it at the same time every day, and haven't been late or missed a pill since I started having sex with my current boyfriend (a couple of months). I'm also fairly certain that the last time he ejaculated inside of me was before my last period, so a risk of pregnancy seems pretty small. I'm just worried about what the pink discharge could mean.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice on what to do while I wait to see my doctor and some information on what might be going on. Thanks!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI nat1018 and welcome to Scarleteen,

Since you're taking the birth control pill, what you're experiencing could be breakthrough bleeding, which is just bleeding or spotting that can happen while taking the hormonal pills. For some people, it's a side effect that goes away, while others benefit from switching pill brands.

How long have you been on birth control? (You mention starting to engage in intercourse with your boyfriend two months ago, but I'm unclear on whether that's also when you started the birth control.)

I'm not saying that this is what it is, only offering it as a possibility. [Smile]

Your doctor will be able to examine you, and knowing your health history, will be able to help you figure out what's going on here.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nat1018
Neophyte
Member # 102268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nat1018     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on the birth control for about two years.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nodding. Side effects like breakthrough bleeding can happen anytime when someone is taking the pill.

Since you're seeing your doctor, though, I'm not sure that any more conjecture is helpful or necesssary. [Smile]

When is your appointment?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nat1018
Neophyte
Member # 102268

As long as it isn't something that's ringing alarm bells for someone who knows more than I do, I'm good!

I haven't be able to make the appointment yet.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Nope, no alarm bells ringing here.

It is worth mentioning to a doctor though, especially since it is making you nervous.

--------------------
Robin

nat1018
Neophyte
Member # 102268

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.