Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Confusion about Birth Control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Confusion about Birth Control
Boxerkid1611
Neophyte
Member # 102052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boxerkid1611     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've heard from me before, but I still have questions... Guess sex ed in school escaped me. My girlfriend, was off her pill for 2-3 weeks thanks insurance. Then when we got the pill back she started taking it right away, not the first day of her period and not the next sunday, it was a random day. Shes been taking it for 14 days, and today during sex she began to bleed. I am not sure if she's having her period during active pills or what. Can she even have her period on the active pills (she's on ortho tri cyclen lo.) Because she started it on a random day how do we regulate her period?

--------------------
UIP

Posts: 28 | From: PA | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spotting during the beginning few months of birth control is very common; so this may not be the start of her bleed, it may just be spotting. Irregular bleeds is also pretty common, especially if she didn't start the way the pill brand recommends.

I'd suggest talking to her doctor and let them know when she started the pill, and they will be able to advise her on the best thing to do about it. Also make sure to use a second form of birth control every time until you know the pill has you guys covered (and you can, of course, continue to use the second method even when the pill IS effective).

[ 01-27-2013, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify: there isn't anything wrong with starting on any random day, it just means that you can't be so sure about the pill becoming effective as quickly as it would have usually. Your doctor will likely recommend that you just use a second method of birth control for the full cycle.
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boxerkid1611
Neophyte
Member # 102052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boxerkid1611     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So do you think she will get a normal period during the inactive pills? That is if it was just spotting?

--------------------
UIP

Posts: 28 | From: PA | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's impossible for us to predict whether anyone will or won't get a withdrawal bleed (which is what we call a period for someone who's on the pill). We're just not psychic like that.

However, many people who experience spotting also get their withdrawal bleed on time.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.