Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Extremely Light Period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Extremely Light Period
justagirl1219
Neophyte
Member # 97563

Icon 9 posted      Profile for justagirl1219     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So my period came two days later than predicted, and its been extremely light and scanty. Normally my heaviest day is the second day it comes, and that would have been yesterday but there was hardly any flow. I highly doubt I'm pregnant since I haven't posed a risk according to the article you guys have. As stated, manual sex (fingering) does NOT pose a pregnancy risk-- right?

Also in the past two weeks prior to my period I have been very stressed and anxious (over finals, and I recently found a strange lump in my right breast. Friday, it got checked out by a doctor though and I'm choosing to have it removed), and I've gotten a cold with an awful cough. Could stress and illness contribute to my scanty period?

Lastly, I'm a world class worry wart~ my neighbor who is a year older than I am started experiencing abnormal things with her menstrual cycle, and it turns out she had cervical cancer. Could that be me??

Oh and some background info, my period used to be very irregular, I've had it for about 4 years. I used to be on birth control to regulate my hormones~I stopped taking it about 3-4 months ago because I wanted to see if my period had regulated itself. The first two cycles it did, now I'm not so sure....

Anyways- why is my period so light? Please ease this restless mind. THANKS (:

Posts: 25 | From: -- | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We can't possibly know this.

Menstrual cycles most often aren't very static, especially over years. How long cycles are, how long periods are, how heavy or how light: there will generally be variations in all of these things, mostly because our whole bodies aren't static, so our reproductive systems won't be either.

As well, you're just off the pill, so you're only starting to see what your own cycles are actually like. It might help to know that the pill doesn't actually "regulate" cycles or bleeding when you're not taking it. It's that when taking it, the bleeds you get are in response to the pills you're taking and the placebo pills. the pill will not change cycles in a long-term way just because someone used to take it.

Changes to the menstrual cycle should not be assumed to be due to cancer (and your friend's cervical cancer also likely wasn't at the root of hers: those changes were much more likely to be coincidental than causal, since the cervix isn't something that plays a part in the menstrual cycle).

No, manual sex doesn't pose a pregnancy risk and for the majority of people who become pregnant from activities that DO pose risks, the very first symptom of a pregnancy is a missed period, so worrying about a pregnancy when a) you haven't done the things that can create one, and b) you're menstruating just isn't sensible.

[ 01-27-2013, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justagirl1219
Neophyte
Member # 97563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justagirl1219     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure I'm done bleeding because there is hardly any blood. That would make it a 3 day period and on top of that it was extremely light. My periods on average were about 5-6 days long with a medium flow. They were never super heavy, but never quite this light, or short.

I tried talking to my mom about this, and she automatically assumed I was pregnant since some woman experience light periods (and she assumes I'm going to lose my virginity soon because my boyfriend and I have been dating for almost a year and a half...silly mom). But as we both know, I haven't posed a threat because manual sex doesn't pose a risk.

Anyways, I'm just going to stay positive about this, thanks for responding!

Posts: 25 | From: -- | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.