Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pill and stomach flu... BOO!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pill and stomach flu... BOO!
sarah grace
Activist
Member # 42926

Icon 9 posted      Profile for sarah grace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

I took my pill at midnight last night and about 20 minutes later started vomiting. I know I threw the pill up because I basically projectile vomited for 12 hours. [Frown]

It's the last pill in my pack before my placebo week, and I've used condoms this entire cycle because I took the first pill of my pack 8 hours late because of a pharmacy mix up (info is in a previous post).

What should the next course of action be for me? EC? Just let it go? Should I start my new pack a day early? Help!

Thanks!

Posts: 57 | From: kentucky | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey sarah grace...

When did you last have penis-in-vagina sex without barriers? If you're using condoms and you don't have any other reason to think you might be pregnant it doesn't sound like EC would be necessary.

I'm not entirely sure about how the placebo week will be protected, as there will have been a dip in your birth-control intake.

From what I know and have been able to read, I would stick to schedule, continue to use condoms through the placebo week, and continue to use condoms again through the week of your first non-placebo pack.

I'll ask another volunteer/staffer, just to make sure.

[ 01-27-2013, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some articles and previously answered questions that might help:

About how the placebo week works:
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/how_do_birth_control_pills_really_work_even_during_the_placebo_period

Throwing up a birth control pill:
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/what_happens_if_i_throw_up_my_birth_control_pill

On menstruation cycles:
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/on_the_rag_a_guide_to_menstruation

On combining birth control methods, like the pill + condoms:
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/the_buddy_system_effectiveness_rates_for_backing_up_your_birth_control_with_a_s

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarah grace
Activist
Member # 42926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarah grace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jacob!

The last time I had sex without barriers was during my LAST placebo week (almost a month ago). I then took the first pill of the new pack 9 hours late so I have been using condoms without fail.

I'll do just what you said but since pregnancy is absolutely not an option, I'll just use condoms throughout the entire next pack. [Smile]

Thanks for the reply and I'll check back to see what another volunteer/staffer said, just to be sure. [Smile]

Thanks so much!

Posts: 57 | From: kentucky | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

No worries, I checked with Robin, my instincts were right :-).

You sound pretty comfortable using condoms and they do further reduce the risk of pregnancy so I'm thinking why not just use them indefinitely alongside your hormonal BC?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, EC now couldn't do anything, since it's been more than 120 hours. But that's okay, since given you were backing up with condoms, if they were all used properly, it's not at all likely you had a pregnancy risk.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarah grace
Activist
Member # 42926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarah grace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Jacob - Thanks! [Smile] I generally do, there have just been about 2-3 times that my boyfriend and I decided not to use them since I am really good about taking the pill. Of course as soon as I do I have all these issues. [Razz]

@Heather - I talked to someone here and my gynecologist after I took the first pill late and they just said to use a back up method... Thank goodness I did or this stomach bug could have been even more terrible! [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it also sounds like you know you don't feel okay about not using condoms in general, so maybe you'll want to let your boyfriend know that condoms are non-negotiable for you from here on out?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarah grace
Activist
Member # 42926

We actually just talked about it, and he's in agreement. [Smile]
Heather
Member # 3

[Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.