Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Question about birth control pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about birth control pill
whathappensinspain
Neophyte
Member # 95344

Icon 5 posted      Profile for whathappensinspain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm not sure how to formulate my question, I'll just give some information first.
I'm in a long-distance relationship, so I don't get to see my boyfriend a lot. He's coming to visit soon, he will be staying at my house, and for the first weekend we are going on a trip, just the two of us. I'm pretty sure my family is not confortable with me and him having sex in my house, and I would like to respect that.
I've been on the pill since november, always using a back-up method, the first pill cycle lasted 24 days, the second one 26 days and the third one 25. So I made calculations and it seems that I'm going to be having my period right on the weekend of our trip. I would really like to avoid this if possible because it may be the only private time we have when he's visiting. I was wondering a few things:

If I don't take the last pill of the package, would my period come sooner?
Are there any bad side-effects that I should know about?
Am I being stupidly irresponsable for even thinking of this?

So in general, does it seem like a good idea?

Thank you!

Posts: 15 | From: Spain | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi whathappensinspain,

We don't call people stupid anything around here, so the answer to your last question is no. [Smile]

From what you're describing, I'm unclear about how many pills you have in your pack. Do you have inactive pills that you take while you have your withdrawal bleed--which is what we call a period when someone is on birth control? or do you finish your pack, get your bleed, then start the new pack a few days later?

I'm thinking it's the latter, based on how you're describing things.

If so, it's important for you to take all the pills in the pack for maximum effectiveness. There's also no guarantee you'd get your withdrawal bleed any sooner if you skipped the last pill in the pack.

While it's a little messy, and some people just are not comfortable with it, it's okay to engage in vaginal intercourse or any other sexual activity you'd like to engage in. How do you feel about engaging in intercourse while on your bleed?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whathappensinspain
Neophyte
Member # 95344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whathappensinspain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my pack there are 21 pills. But no inactive pills, I was wondering, inactive pills have no effect AT ALL? they are only for counting right?

I see, so maybe I shouldn't skip the last ones, I guess it's tough luck for me.

We've done intercourse while I had my withdrawal bleed, but it was a little painful for me and I was a little bit scared of getting an infection, is this possible? I don't mean a sexual infection because he was wearing a condom, I mean a vaginal infection, is that possible?

Posts: 15 | From: Spain | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, the inactive pills are placebo pills intended 9when they are part of a pack) only for users to use them to stay in the habit of taking their pills daily and on time.

It's not more likely for you to get vaginal infections during intercourse while on your period. The person whose infections risks that ups aren't yours, but a partners, and that would be an increase in risk of bloodborne infections, like HIV or hepatitis. But backing up with a condom radically reduces those risks, just like it does for STI risks at any time. Do you two already use condoms? Then you're good. If you don't, is that because you already have both recently been screened for those infections and know you don't have them? If so, then again, you're good.

Mind, you don't have to have any kind of sex that doesn't feel good for you at any time. If intercourse doesn't feel good to you during your withdrawal bleed and that's when you're seeing your partner, what about instead engaging in kinds of sex that DO feel good?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whathappensinspain
Neophyte
Member # 95344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whathappensinspain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok good, humm another question, I read your complete guide on pills and Menstruation (thanks for the great information!) and I was wondering, since the pill stops the egg into going to the fallopian tube, does that mean that I am not losing one of my eggs or is that one lost too. I know that we have a lot of eggs however I watch Private Practice and something about the main character losing all her eggs got me thinking [Smile] .

About the condoms yeah we use them all of the time, he recently asked if we could rely only on the pills for not getting pregnant and I told him that I rather not because we haven't done any of the tests, so we agreed not to stop the use of the condom until we get those done.

I think you are right about not having sex that doesn't feel good. I think my boyfriend also agrees to this. Whenever I'm on my period, we stick to the kind of sex that still feels good to both of us. So I think that's what we'll end up doing when he comes.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea that we "lose" eggs isn't quite right, no matter what. If and when our ovaries DO release an egg cell (which usually isn't happening when someone is using the combined pill, as it suppresses ovulation as part of how it works, and then it isn't fertilized, it's basically just absorbed by the body the way our other cells often are. Some of that cell matter may also be part of discharges.

I don't know what was on that TV show (don't watch it), but most medical shows are frequently providing inaccurate medical information.

When we start puberty, we have most of the egg cells we're going to have, and sparing certain health conditions, or things like excessive radiation, etc., we're not going to "lose" them. Every cycle, our ovaries, when they do, will tend to release one. For anyone whose ovulation is suppressed, that ultimately doesn't change their fertility later, nor give them "extra" egg cells. I don't believe that we know, specifically, about what happens per egg cells with women using the pill so much in this regard, because I don't even know how we'd really do that research.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whathappensinspain
Neophyte
Member # 95344

I see, well, my questions and doubts are answered, thank you very much for the information and for the great site!
Heather
Member # 3

NP.

And here's another sound answer for you on that question about ovum and the pill: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-az/contraceptives-does-the-pill-store-up-my-eggs-762686.html

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.